PDA

View Full Version : Update re Hematuria, etc.

Canbud
23-11-14, 16:53
Quite a busy day on the 18th. First, I had my ultrasound. I asked the tech how long it would take for my doc to get the report, and she thought a week, give or take. I then phoned my doctor's office and asked THEM how long it would take, and they said a week to two weeks! WTF?

My sister, who worked in the haematology lab for 40 years, told me that if there is anything alarming on a test, the radiologist will call the family doc asap. Otherwise, the radiologist dictates the report for typing the next day and it goes into the hopper for normal distribution. There are (presumably) protocols for reporting results that are in keeping with informing with family doc ASAP, if needed. If this is true (and followed), why don't they tell us this? Why tell us we have to wait for weeks? Pisses me off no end.

Second, I had my consult with the surgeon about the keratoses on my back which my doctor started to worry about. The surgeon confirmed they were indeed benign keratoses and zapped them with that freezing stuff. Stung like a bitch for a few hours but I didn't care. One less problem to worry about.

Third, the urologist contacted my doctor with my cystoscopy date--Dec 9. (They are not in a big hurry to relieve my stress. :mad: ) While I know that asymptomatic microhematuria, at my age, puts my risk of bladder cancer at around 4%, I can't seem to think that I'm in the lucky 96%. I still have episodes of mad sobbing and stress attacks. Damn cancer anyways.

almamatters
23-11-14, 17:00
I know how frustrating the waiting can be for tests . I know here in the UK if there there any sinister findings on a scan or blood test etc these are faxed over from the hospital to the GP asap, otherwise like you say it can be weeks before you hear anything. I am worried about a similar thing at the minute, I have to take a second urine sample to my GP in about a week, don't know how I will react if there is still blood present. Hope all goes well for you. x

Canbud
23-11-14, 17:14
I know how frustrating the waiting can be for tests . I know here in the UK if there there any sinister findings on a scan or blood test etc these are faxed over from the hospital to the GP asap, otherwise like you say it can be weeks before you hear anything. I am worried about a similar thing at the minute, I have to take a second urine sample to my GP in about a week, don't know how I will react if there is still blood present. Hope all goes well for you. x

thanks, and same to you.

One thing I took control of was the urine testing--I ordered some Hemastix from a medical company on-line since they aren't sold in drug stores. At least that's one result I can get quickly.

countrygirl
23-11-14, 17:35
I have idiopathic haematura - in other words no disease cause. I always always have traces of blood and protein in my urine from when I was first tested at 19 I am now 53. They say I have big filters in my kidneys that let things through. So you can have this and it be totally harmless.

I have had ultrasounds. kidney x ray with dye and lastly the camera in the bladder 2 years ago as my new Dr wanted to rule out my being born with poylps in my bladder that don't show on ultrasound. The cystoscopy was fine, totally painless proceedure just stingy for about 12 hrs afterwards. Drink lots of water after it to flush out any bugs they might have introduced. I was totally back to normal the next morning. The worst part for me was the indignity of it with a young male urologist:unsure:

Canbud
23-11-14, 18:27
I have idiopathic haematura - in other words no disease cause. I always always have traces of blood and protein in my urine from when I was first tested at 19 I am now 53. They say I have big filters in my kidneys that let things through. So you can have this and it be totally harmless.

I have had ultrasounds. kidney x ray with dye and lastly the camera in the bladder 2 years ago as my new Dr wanted to rule out my being born with poylps in my bladder that don't show on ultrasound. The cystoscopy was fine, totally painless proceedure just stingy for about 12 hrs afterwards. Drink lots of water after it to flush out any bugs they might have introduced. I was totally back to normal the next morning. The worst part for me was the indignity of it with a young male urologist:unsure:

Ha--my urologist is old like me, so I don't think either of us will care. :D

I've been reading quite a bit about hematuria and read about the early onset idiopathic hematuria that you have. It's my understanding that urologists tend not to worry about it since it's almost always benign. It's when it shows up suddenly in your 50's that they start to get antsy. :ohmy:

countrygirl
23-11-14, 18:51
Yes I agree they do worry more if it suddenly appears in middle age but there are lots of benign causes so fingers crossed for you.

SADnomore
23-11-14, 20:05
Good luck, Canbud, keep us posted! :hugs:
Marie

Canbud
23-11-14, 22:13
Yes I agree they do worry more if it suddenly appears in middle age but there are lots of benign causes so fingers crossed for you.

thanks!

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

Good luck, Canbud, keep us posted! :hugs:
Marie

thanks Marie--by the way, did you ever get the results of your cytology test and have they booked you for a cystoscopy?

SADnomore
24-11-14, 02:23
Hi, Canbud.
No, I haven't heard a peep, even though I've been back at the doctor's twice since then for a shot for my shoulder and a prescription refill. So I am proceeding with the idea in mind that no news is good news, lol! I still have the bladder-kidney-ureter ultrasound next month, so I'm not worried. Easy for me, I guess, because I don't have HA. Let us know what, if anything, your test reveals. :hugs:Fingers crossed, but I am pretty sure it's nothing important! For either of us!

Marie

Canbud
24-11-14, 03:01
Hi, Canbud.
No, I haven't heard a peep, even though I've been back at the doctor's twice since then for a shot for my shoulder and a prescription refill. So I am proceeding with the idea in mind that no news is good news, lol! I still have the bladder-kidney-ureter ultrasound next month, so I'm not worried. Easy for me, I guess, because I don't have HA. Let us know what, if anything, your test reveals. :hugs:Fingers crossed, but I am pretty sure it's nothing important! For either of us!

Marie

And you doc didn't schedule a cystoscopy? Maybe the amount of blood you had was just a trace amount. ( Mine was labelled "moderate", out of a range of few, moderate, and many. )