PDA

View Full Version : A Nervous Breakdown - what is it?

Melina
05-01-07, 10:25
Hi, just wondering if somebody can explain what a nervous breakdown is, and what are the symptons. I think I got very close to having one before. Once you have them, is there no turning back in terms of the damage it may cause to your mental health?
thanx.

seeker
05-01-07, 11:21
Hello, I'm not entirely sure either! however, I do know that lots of people have had one and have made a full recovery to good mental health. I think it usually involves you being completely unable to deal with everyday life, and requiring urgent psychiatric and medical help. I think I have come pretty close to having two, actually. Fortunately, my family and friends are very understanding and so have helped me through them both, without requiring any major outside help. Will be inteesting to hear the replies!

Nel
05-01-07, 12:06
Well I've asked my doctor and my CB therapist what a nervous breakdown is and, seemingly, there is no such diagnosis in the medical world.
'Nervous breakdown' is a term they don't use.

Nel xxx

ksmith
05-01-07, 13:58
Yes, I concur with Nel that there is no such medical term as 'nervous breakdown' although that's not much help when you think you're having one!!

Kay x

jo61
05-01-07, 15:30
It used to be used years ago but now they prefer Clinical Depression or Anxiety DIsorder or both.

Piglet
05-01-07, 15:35
Yes I agree with Nel and Kay, I too have read/heard that the medical profession don't use the phrase 'nervous breakdown' as it can mean different things to different people and is too hard to quantify.

I suppose we tend to think of a nervous breakdown as an inability to function on any level - also this is subjective too, as it's possible for anyone to have a momentary nervous breakdown really isn't it - anyone at all!

I used to visualise it as me crouched in a corner of some victorian asylum in a long white nightie with black matted hair, wringing my hands or something. The reality is that I retired to bed for a week and cried my head off and then tried to come to terms with panic attacks from then on in. I've never felt so flippin ill, physically aswell as emotionally. I also think some of the sting wouldn't have been there if I had actually known more about anxiety and panic. Trouble is you don't really until it happens to you, do you!

Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Melina
05-01-07, 21:52
ok ive just recovered from a fit of giggles to Piglets reply (boy that felt so good!) because that is SO how I envisaged a nervous breakdown.

My boyfriends mother said she had one when she was younger, she had been at such a low point that she found herself walking in the street, completed naked not knowing where to go. Really interesting replies, Lucy I am amazed at how you have recovered, it must have been a truly awful experience appreciate everyones knowledge on this. I must be showing my age with the old terminology

nomorepanic
05-01-07, 23:08
My brother-in-law's aunt had a "breakdown" once and this is what happened.

Firstly they didn't even know they were having one. It happened very suddenly and one day whilst sat at the airport about to board a plane they just couldn't move and just sat there with a blank stare on their face. She was taken into a hospital and made a full recovery.

I think we all use the term "I am having a nervous breakdown" but in reality you don't know when you do!

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

kazzie
06-01-07, 00:59
No you dont nic!!!!

I had a nervous breakdown a few years ago and I starved myself and did all sort of strange things that i dont remember now but seemed logical to me at the time!!!

Waking up in the local psyc hospital soon sorted me tho lol

kaz x

darkangel
06-01-07, 13:58
people use the term "Im having a nervous breakdown" lightly

i was diagnosed with major clinical depression and GAD 10 yrs ago which then led to years of agoraphobia - and all I can say is for 2-3 yrs after it was just a blur - all I can remember is acute anxiety 24/7, hallucinations, screaming and rocking back and forth in corners of rooms, self harming, sleep for days at a time, mood swings, extreme intervention from mental health team.

its 10 yrs down the line and yes it still affects me, Ive not been able to return to work, still attend day hospital and still on meds but im in control of my anxiety and the depression has lifted. I no longer self harm and im living a life of peace and cherish each calm moment that I am blessed with.

Having this type of illness will always have an impact but you learn to appreciate what you do have and enjoy the good moments and in time accept yourself and eventually you will start to make progress.

The fear will leave you once you stop adding to it with negative thoughts.

Im now at college part time and living a "normal" life going out for meals, cinema, holidays, shopping and yes I do get flashbacks and yers there are triggers but I learn to let them pass.

Hope this has maybe helped someone

Darkangel x

........life is for living not just for surviving

Piglet
06-01-07, 15:28
Darkangel - everytime you post hun it helps me and I'm sure lots of other people too. :D:D

Love Piglet xx

bb01234
08-01-07, 03:11
Yes, 'you don't know when your having one' sums it up perfectly. By that stage you aren't 'in' reality so how would you know.

But there are ways to address the issues before you hit rock bottom

regards

brian