PDA

View Full Version : I think I may cancel or just request ultrasound :(

lily1
24-11-14, 16:55
I can't do this anymore, I am so scared that I really felt I couldn't go on today.

I have been reading again about women under 50 being more at risk from radiation from mammograms as they still have periods. I had my first at 38 and now at 40 having my third!

I am on the point of cancelling it and just asking for the ultrasound as I am shaking with fear that I am giving myself BC by going.

Even though some countries recommend you start screening at 40.

I am so petrified! and alone

Annie0904
24-11-14, 18:41
I would say you are more at risk if you DON'T have mammograms.

Canbud
24-11-14, 18:46
Tell you what--have this mammo, because the odds of this mammo causing cancer is about as likely as lightening striking you.

Then, have a frank discussion with your doctor about your concerns. Weight the pros and cons, and make an informed decision. Don't make a decision out of panic or anxiety.

chickpea
24-11-14, 18:48
I agree with Annie.
If ultrasound was sufficient, they wouldn't offer mammograms.

Please go - I recently lost a friend to breast cancer at 38. When she was diagnosed, at 35, her sisters were told they weren't old enough to have mammograms.
You are able to have something to help safeguard your health - don't turn it down.

lily1
24-11-14, 22:11
Thank you sooooo much for your advice I really appreciate it truly.

Reading these articles and studies is not doing me any good. but stopping is so hard :(

I think I maybe exaggerating my risk from the mammogram then, and blowing it out of proportion like HA sufferers do. I read a risk factor and panic.

My consultant doesn't think I have anything wrong but he is only human so ordered my tests.

Because I fear BC so much any increase in extra possible risk is devastating to me.

The only things that give me hope is the real stories that women on here and another forum have told me they have had mammos regularly at a younger age and are still fine so that does give me hopex

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

Also I think I panic because the breast is sensitive to radiation before the menopause. But that said mammograms do use a low dose.

Annie0904
24-11-14, 22:15
A very low dose :)

lily1
24-11-14, 22:44
Even better :)

Annie0904
24-11-14, 22:44
:)