PDA

View Full Version : Social Anxiety.. new job

manchester
25-11-14, 13:41
Hello everyone.. this is my first post, and I'm not sure I have posted in the correct place?
So my main issues are generalized anxiety and depression. I'm currently on sertraline 50mg and feel this has helped me to begin to think more clearly... I have posted here as I would like some advice on social anxiety. Recently I applied for a bar job.. and got it (which I'm very pleased about) however, naturally my anxiety is now sky high and the social aspect of it is daunting. I have almost purposely applied for this job as I like to throw myself into my fear sometimes, but do you think I'm just kidding myself. I'm friendly and sociable deep down however I just keep imagining I wont know how to react to customers... Sorry if I'm now waffling.. any advice would be great!
:ohmy:

venusbluejeans
25-11-14, 13:47
Hiya manchester and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

manchester
25-11-14, 13:56
Thanks Venus :)

lior
25-11-14, 14:43
For the first two or three months of my first bar job I was fumbly and clumsy. Then after a while you get smooth at pouring drinks elegantly, and even making eye contact with people. You have to get to know the movements - it becomes muscle memory after a while. You learn faster if you work more - I was only part time.

Don't worry. It takes time to be a good bar person. It's ok to start off rubbish - in time you'll be getting tips :) just keep telling customers you're new and laugh it off, if you make a mistake. Also, don't let managers make you feel bad - if they do that, they've just forgotten what it's like to be new.

manchester
25-11-14, 18:35
Thank you Lior... yea I guess it will come with time.. I can just feel myself tense up when I think about pouring a drink!