PDA

View Full Version : Constant Urge To Urinate, Possibly Anxiety?

anthonyg91
25-11-14, 15:39
So for the last 3 years I have had a constant urge to urinate. It started pretty much out of nowhere one day in September 2011. No matter what I do the feeling is always there and I find it difficult to concentrate on anything else. (allthough I have bouts where intensity fluctuates, it's been worse the last few weeks). I have no pain or any other related symptons. It's like a constant tingling/awareness in the tip of my urethra rather than pressure from my bladder. I get nervous thinking about long trips or situations where I can't have access to a bathroom, although this feeling affects me in situations where using the bathroom is no problem such as when I'm at home. I use the bathroom but I still feel like I have to go right after.

I always had a relatively strong bladder before this and could go several hours without feeling the urge to go. When it started I had gone through a pretty bad breakup a couple months prior, and had a few instances where I was in a car and desperately had to go (fearing that I would wet myself). I did actually have a full bladder in those instances though. I should also mention that I can usually sleep through 6-7 hours straight. I've never wet the bed since this issue started.

I saw a urologist for about a year from early 2012-2013. Saw another one a few weeks ago who tested urine flow, did an ultrasound, checked my prostate, asked about my symptoms. Said he didn't think there was any problem but wanted to do a urodynamics just to see (which I canceled out of fear as the last one was pretty painful without any benefit).

I've had pretty much every test in the book.
- Had a urine culture when symptoms started, no infection.
- Took antibiotics, no effect.
- Tried AZO, didn't do anything.
- Tried cranberry juice for a while, didn't help.
- Multiple doctors have checked my prostate, said it felt normal.
- Had blood tests for diabetes and other conditions, all came back fine.
- Had an ultrasound of my bladder, very little residual urine.
- Had an MRI of my pelvic area, no stones or anything out of the ordinary.
- Took OAB medicine (Vesicare) which had minimal effect.
- Had a cystoscopy with local anisthetic, doctor didn't find anything wrong.
- Had a urodynamics test, again nothing noticeably wrong or cause for alarm.

I'm planning on seeing a therapist, but right now I'm afraid I'm never going to feel normal again.

IrishLondon
25-11-14, 15:49
Hi Anthony,

Have you thought about pelvic floor dysfunction? It's not as scary as it sounds!

Basically your pelvic floor is made up of loads of muscles. Stress and anxiety can cause these muscles to tighten up which can irritate the nerves down there and lead to that tingling down there.

There are stretches you can do to loosen things up and hopefully that sensation you're feeling should go. You should be able to find some on the internet by searching.

All the best
Ryan

anthonyg91
25-11-14, 15:58
Thank you Ryan.

I have thought about PFD but my urodynamics test showed no clear involuntary detrusor contractions. Is it still a possibility?