PDA

View Full Version : Just took propranolol for the first time

amadragonfly
26-11-14, 02:36
Hi, just looking for words of reassurance from those who may be on this med. I was prescribed 10 mg for anxiety to take as needed. I broke that in half and still had a full blown panic attack after taking it. It's been almost two hours and feel fine but still feel my usual anxiety symptoms. Not sure the dose I took is going to do much. Anyone else on this? What is your experience? Thanks

KeeKee
26-11-14, 08:10
I was given 40mg when my anxiety was at its worse, completely stopped my panic attacks. My doctor told me any less than that would be ineffective however I have taken 20mg (snapped one in half) and felt noticeably less anxious. Maybe try the full 10mg when you next feel anxious. I believe you need an 8 hour gap between each tablet.

Nampop
26-11-14, 08:27
Im on 10 mg at night but seems to take a while to work and i still shake a bit but heart does not race,think 10 mg is too low,i have been on 40 mg in past and that did work and helped alot x

amadragonfly
26-11-14, 13:36
Thanks so much for replying. I will take 10 mg next time. Even 5 helped my heart not to race. So I won't be so worried this time.

Catherine S
26-11-14, 14:03
Don't be scared of it, its a good med for anxiety and not mind-altering like tranquilisers (benzos) it just blocks the adrenalin and makes you feel calmer. It can take some time to get the dose right and not everybody's needs are the same, but 10mg is quite a low dose and as others have said you probably wouldn't notice any difference on 5mg. I was on 80 when I started but now take 40 split into 2x20 morning and evening and this seems to suit my body. On good days I only need 20mgs and on bad days I take 60mgs so it balances out.

ISB x