PDA

View Full Version : ECG tomorrow.

chickpea
26-11-14, 15:26
In a nutshell -

I'm used to having a racing heart for a few minutes when I've eaten, after caffeine or when I stand up suddenly, and it doesn't bother me at all.
I sometimes get it when I'm having a bit of anxiety - it tends to build gradually, peak and then die down, along with shallow breathing and a general feeling of adrenaline buzz.

However, recently, I've been waking up with my heart already racing and it stays fast for an hour or more. Even when it slows down, it's still fast.

My brother went to his GP last week because his heart was racing constantly out of the blue, and he was sent straight to hospital where they did bloods, an ECG and what I think was a 24 hour monitor. He was sent home the next day with betablockers and an appointment to be seen in outpatients.

So, because my heart has been racing more than longer and more frequently over the last couple of weeks (and because another GP commented that I was tachycardic back in the summer), I booked an appointment to be seen at the surgery this morning.
The GP listened to my heart and could hear that it was "going some". She then asked if I had private health care, because she wanted to refer me for tests but the waiting list might be up to 6 months on the NHS. I am booked in for an ECG at the surgery tomorrow, and she said if my heart gets very fast and I feel faint or dizzy, to go to A&E straight away and tell them she sent me so that I would be seen immediately.

The one positive thing she said was that my heart rhythm was absolutely regular and it had slowed a bit by the time she took my blood pressure. (I suffer from a touch of white coat syndrome, I think!)
I don't drink or smoke, don't have more than one cup of tea a day,am not overweight etc. Bloods a couple of months ago were all fine. She suggested that women can have palpitations from anxiety while going through the menopause (I'm nearly 45, so possibly premenopausal?)

I'm trying to think rationally that if she had any real concerns, she'd have sent to hospital straight away. Presumably, an ECG will show whether other action is needed?

Canbud
26-11-14, 16:33
I believe she definitely would have sent you straight to the hospital if she felt you were in imminent danger. A friend of mine went for her yearly physical and when the doc listened to her heart he sent her to hospital right away. I can't recall what the problem was, but apparently she had this weird genetic heart thing that was totally benign but never showed up before. Scared the crap out of her but she was fine. :)

I'm sure you'll be in good hands at the hospital.

chickpea
26-11-14, 16:43
Thanks Canbud.
Yes, I'm sure my GP would have taken action if there was a pressing issue.
She warned me that the referral to hospital for a scan etc could take up to 6 months - so again, no sense of urgency, although she did ask if I have private health insurance so that I could be seen immediately.
The EGG will be done by a practice nurse in the GP surgery.

I suspect it's anxiety, even though it's not a normal symptom for me.

chickpea
27-11-14, 14:32
Had ECG this morning.
I was feeling anxious lying there, and unsurprisingly it came back as "fast" rather than "normal."
Not sure what will happen now?

countrygirl
28-11-14, 20:57
I have never had an ecg in a medical setting where my heart was beating less than 100 bpm and usually up to 130bpm all due to white coat terror!!

All they are really worried about is any abnormal beats or if its beating above 160bpm for prolonged time as this will make you feel dizzy and faint.

Hopefully for your peace of mind she will send you for an 24 hr walk about ecg as this takes away the white coat problem.

chickpea
28-11-14, 22:57
I have never had an ecg in a medical setting where my heart was beating less than 100 bpm and usually up to 130bpm all due to white coat terror!!

All they are really worried about is any abnormal beats or if its beating above 160bpm for prolonged time as this will make you feel dizzy and faint.

Hopefully for your peace of mind she will send you for an 24 hr walk about ecg as this takes away the white coat problem.

Thank you.
Yes, I seem to suffer white coat syndrome these days - even when I first get into the doctor's room, I am breathless and the adrenaline is pumping!
Before the ECG was even booked in, my GP referred me to the hospital for what she said would be a scan and 24 hour monitor...but that could take 6 months for an appointment. I'm guessing that, because of this and the fact she hasn't contacted me about the ECG results, I'm definitely not a huge concern. :)

Aaahhfreakout
29-11-14, 10:05
I suspect if your heart slows down gradually they you're probably okay. :)

My understanding is that the problem ones are fast heart rates which start and stop like an on/off switch has been flipped.

It's also possible to speed up the heart to a surprising degree just from thinking that something you're doing is going to make it speed up. I've done it to myself plenty of times.