PDA

View Full Version : Always worrying news stories

phil06
28-11-14, 00:43
Here is the latest one

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2851908/Drying-WASHING-indoors-harm-health-Damp-environment-creates-ideal-breeding-ground-mould-spores-trigger-infections.html

Also there's one about chicken not being safe either anybody else worried?

PanchoGoz
28-11-14, 00:47
I find this story completely arbitrary because the bacteria is safely killed when you cook it. Nobody will eat raw chicken anyway, I hope

BikerMatt
28-11-14, 01:28
No word of a lie me and the mrs had two chickens in a row from ASDA that started to stink our kitchen out way before the sell by date.

Fishmanpa
28-11-14, 02:13
There was story about avian flu in turkeys here in the states. The article said that even cooking wouldn't kill it. Of course thousands and thousands believed it (of course it was BS much like the daily mail stuff). The clincher? The gave a phone number to call and it was for the Westboro Baptist Church (it's a fanatical church that preaches hate and protests all sorts of crazy things!) BAM! ~lol~

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
28-11-14, 07:34
Well, 3 things spring to mind:

1. Surely if we were all eating contaminated food, someone would be noticing an increase in food poisoning cases or related infections?

2. Its The Daily Mail, so its going to be a very 'biased-towards a scary non truth' type of article...I haven't read the chicken article but if they are imported chickens are the DM complaining more about they are 'coming over here and taking away the jobs from our British bacteria?'

And...

3. The article is about fungal spores due to increased humidity in the home. The advice from the prof? Open a window. I think our parents have been handing down this type of advice for quite some generations now.

If this was in anyway a problem, it would be affecting us in the masses since we all live a country where we have been hanging are washing up indoors for for many decades before we even had tumble dryers or electricity and we are only just hearing about it now...so its another one of those one in a million infection types issues.

So, Phil don't worry about it. Just do what many of us do and open the windows to let the moisture out or get one of those dehumidifiers which do this job. Considering every year we get the floods which require large dehumidifier units to remove several feet of water from people houses, I would be expecting people in those populations to be running this risk or the story coming from a relationship to their predicament but I've never heard of this so I suspect its just the DM doing what they do.

MrAndy
28-11-14, 08:45
2. Its The Daily Mail, so its going to be a very 'biased-towards a scary non truth' type of article...I haven't read the chicken article but if they are imported chickens are the DM complaining more about they are 'coming over here and taking away the jobs from our British bacteria?'

lmao :)