PDA

View Full Version : So i guess my life is over

noangeluk
29-11-14, 19:41
Everynight for the past 4 I have been getting a tension headache that keeps me awake with flashing light in my eyes, whenever i close my eyes the tension wraps around my head. I eventually get to sleep. I have had my eyes checked by an optician and been to doctors they dont think its brain tumor but i cant help but think it is :(

cpe1978
29-11-14, 19:44
So what makes you think that you know better than someone who has been to medical school for at least six years?

noangeluk
29-11-14, 19:45
So what makes you think that you know better than someone who has been to medical school for at least six years?

Sorry I don't but anxiety is at an all time high. I keep seeing a black blind spot in my vision when i blink fast, keep obsessing about it. and flashing lights. Is that related to brain tumor?

chickpea
29-11-14, 19:48
Six years? And the rest! (My friend is about to qualify as a GP, after many years of training).

A tension headache with flashing lights can be a migraine, or just a severe headache. I had a headache daily for 9 weeks last summer, with visual disturbances - caused entirely by sinus problems, resulting from a problem with my neck and shoulder.

A brain tumour would affect your balance, and you would have constant visual problems, not intermittent.

If your GP had ANY concerns, they would have referred you for a CT/MRI scan.

noangeluk
29-11-14, 19:50
Six years? And the rest! (My friend is about to qualify as a GP, after many years of training).

A tension headache with flashing lights can be a migraine, or just a severe headache. I had a headache daily for 9 weeks last summer, with visual disturbances - caused entirely by sinus problems, resulting from a problem with my neck and shoulder.

A brain tumour would affect your balance, and you would have constant visual problems, not intermittent.

If your GP had ANY concerns, they would have referred you for a CT/MRI scan.

Would the visual problems come up at the opticians?

cpe1978
29-11-14, 19:53
Who knows? My guess is a doctor would have a decent idea. I am just some plonker who commissions healthcare for a living. Joking aside though, one of the main symptoms of health anxiety is perpetually disbelieving doctors. Until you crack that then there is no chance of overcoming it as quite simply you cannot win.

I don't know the symptoms of a brain tumour and I am not about to check, but I do know that literally hundreds of people have posted on here with the same worries, none of which have come true. I also know that the symptoms you outline absolutely can be related to anxiety. So all things considered and given that a doctor is not worried at all, I think the balance of evidence points to the fact that you shouldn't be either. :)

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

I think you are chasing the wrong rabbit here. You went to a doctor......they were not worried. The challenge you have is trusting that, not chasing further diagnostic tests. Hope that doesn't sound too direct but the reality is that no matter of reassurance is likely to reassure for longer than two minutes unless you deal with the underlying problem of anxiety.

chickpea
29-11-14, 20:09

I was having visual disturbances but the optician assured me my vision was fine.
Seriously, I had horrendous head pressure daily for over 2 months and it was all down to sinus problems caused by neck and shoulder issues - 4 sessions with an osteopath sorted it.

cattia
29-11-14, 20:27
I've had visual disturbances like this for years, the only thing that stops me freaking out over it is the fact that I've had it so long! I also have chronic neck and sinus issues!

chickpea
29-11-14, 20:31
I've had visual disturbances like this for years, the only thing that stops me freaking out over it is the fact that I've had it so long! I also have chronic neck and sinus issues!

See an osteopath! Honestly, the effect was immediate - I actually vomited after my first session, due to the release of toxins that had built up.

kristaok
30-11-14, 15:05
I have issues to where I also believed I have/had a brain tumor. If it makes you feel any better just get a second opinion.

chickpea
30-11-14, 16:33
I have issues to where I also believed I have/had a brain tumor. If it makes you feel any better just get a second opinion.

...but promise yourself you'll stop after a second opinion.
The problem with reassurance is that you *could* keep searching for opinion to confirm what you believe - and since you don't have a brain tumour, you're not going to get the answer you're looking for.