PDA

View Full Version : Difficult people

lavender123
30-11-14, 11:10
I hope this doesn't sound trivial. Compared to everything else, but it have a serious panic/anxiety disorder and I try to get through each day, in my way, sometimes I can't go out, anyway,I got used to my hairdresser that I was going to for about 10 years, Ito me it wasn't a happy experience panicky in the chair etc. couldn't put my head back because of dizziness, but I did it in my way,so as to look abit better, anyway my hairdresser left the salon and the other lady who does my hair doesn't speak to me, I try and say things like how are you etc. all I get I one answere . Anyway I want to see my grandaughter in her christmas concert on the 10th December, so I rang to cancel my hair dressing appointment for the following week the 17th, I asked the lady who does my hair if she had a problem with me, as I find it very hard being ignored especially as I am paying £60 every five weeks for colour and cut ... She said to me I have enough on my plate and I don't want to talk about it, and then she said give me a break . I thought I am trying here, it seems like I will have to find a new hairdressers but I am so nervous as it took me years to get the confidence to go to this one.

Oosh
30-11-14, 11:37
See now I'd prefer the hairdresser who didn't talk to me :)

I'd confront the one who always made chit chat with me and ask her if she had a problem with me haha (I'm exaggerating)

When my social anxiety was bad the hairdressers was a big stress for me. I'd dread them talking to me. Id beat myself up if they did because what I did or didn't say wasn't good enough. My anxiety was terrible and I'd be very conscious of myself. I'm not bothered anymore.

But we are all different. You've grown to feel more comfortable with this hairdresser you had. You have a new one and she has her issues and doesn't really like to make chit chat all day. That doesn't mean she has a problem with you. She may have big problems in her life and spend a lot of time unhappy and worried. You could see her this way, practice a bit of empathy. Maybe she has social anxiety and is really uncomfortable making chit chat but has bills to pay.
Maybe she has a big worry in her life and can't get it out of her head, even when she's at work. That makes her human, just like us and easier to feel comfortable with.

On the other hand maybe you want someone who is better with putting a customer at ease at the moment. So look for that if that's the case. Next time you're in there listen to the other hairdressers and see if there are any who you'd feel more comfortable with and book with them next time.

You could ask friends for recommendations or call up hairdressers and explain you have a bit of anxiety getting your hair done so could your appointment be with someone easy to get along with. I'm sure it's something they've heard before.

I generally want to be left alone but it IS nice to be put with someone who IS good with people and makes a bit of enjoyable conversation.

lavender123
30-11-14, 11:59
Thanks for the reply, I suppose I just feel uncomfatble around her as she talks to the other ladies, it's my problem I suppose, sometimes when your feeling down its nice when the hairdresse r. Says that a nice colour or anything to do with your hair, not a full blown conversation, but the last two times I have been there it's like watching paint dry, maybe it's time I found other hairdressers yes I do understand and I do have a lot of empathy too much . But I always thought that if you go to a hairdressers and you pay somebody to do your hair, that being it's there proffesion that they would say something about your hair, . Maybe I am lacking somewhere along these lines. Don't know, as my mother used to say I except too much from people maybe she was right, anyway thanks for your reply,

Magic
30-11-14, 12:09
I am the same as Oosh. I have found a hairdresser who does not chat, but she is nice.
I only go to see her about three times a year. I do my own if I can.
£60 is a lot of money.
I would find another hair dressers Lavender.
I would not want anyone to talk to me like the person did to you.
They don't deserve your custom.

lavender123
30-11-14, 13:34
Thanks magic. I thought maybe I was over reacting. But your right I shouldn't be spoke to like that as I am the customer . Thanks for the reply:)