PDA

View Full Version : Is This All Normal?

karl
29-08-04, 14:29
Hi everyone

i became ill 3 months ago when out of nowhere i came over all weird like i have never felt before, i was very stressed out that day, but there has been no changes or events that have happened in my life that could have caused this.

But everyday since then i feel tired and have no energy all the time, my hands are shaky, i dont feel with it, my head feels tight at the back and i feel lightheaded sometimes throughout the day.
my throat feels tight, i shake inside as well, i get bad pains in my knees, hands and arms sometimes, and my face feels achy.
These symptoms or most of them i experience most of the day every day.

I am 22 years old and apart from asthma i have had no other medical probelms, i had 2 blood tests done, and a ECG and urine sample but nothing the docs were puzzled, i was relieved the tests were negative of course but in a way i felt something else bad was wrong that i havent had tested like a degenerative disease or brain disorder that will slowly make me lose my memory and make my unable to dress myself or anything anymore, but then i think most brain things are in the genes and in older age so it shouldnt be anything like that.
The doc says i suffer from depression, the nurse says its stress and another doctor said its generalized anxiety disorder, i have only just started having these morbid thoughts and iv been ill for over 3 months now.
I dont get angry or have mood swings and anything or cry or feel guilty i just feel i have lots of physical symptoms so is this depression? i cant be bothered to do anything as i have no energy and i have lost my sex drive and stuff as well.
i had chronic pain for 5 months waiting for wisdom teeth to come out would that have been a factor?
i just feel terrible i feel about 70 years old.

2 weeks ago i was queing to go on a ferry and i suddenly got this urge to get out of the car i felt weird like i was gonna faint and i had a urge to move and my pulse went very fast and i think my heart was pounding but i wasnt over breathing or anything, it went after about a minute but was scary i dont get that feeling very often, ive only had 4 or 5 experiences like that in the last 3 months.

I wrote alist of the symptoms i get daily to the doc and he gave me sertraline he didnt say what they were but i found out they were anti-depressants so he must think im depressed, i took them for 2 days but my body hated them that was about 5 weeks ago but i got given cipralex 5 days ago and ive not had any really bad reaction from them apart from making me more tired so hope they will do the trick.

But for 3 months as soon as i wake up i feel tired and im yawning all day after about 4 or 5 hours of being up i feel exhausted and i cant stay up as late as i used to as my body cant take it anymore.

Sorry about the lenght of this message and i hope to hear some advice from people as to what they think. :)

nomorepanic
29-08-04, 14:37
Hi Karl

I just wondered if you have been reading the replies to all your other posts as there was loads of advise in there and this post is similar to them?

Nicola

seh1980
29-08-04, 15:10
hi Karl,

The symptoms you describe are very usual for people suffering with anxiety. I'm sure your new meds will soon sort you out. I'm on Cipralex and it has done wonders for me! Take care.

Sarah :D

Meg
29-08-04, 23:34
Thought I had deja vu as have answered something very similar to this post on another post..

You have developed anxiety secondary to your very stressed out day where your body had a panic attack. It's now learnt to panic and you have learnt to trigger that panic frequently.

You have not decribed anything out of the ordinary and you can get over this ..

Sound to me like a stretched nervous system complaining and an exhautsed person trying to make sense of it all .

You will be fine and get better but it won't happen overnight ..

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

stimpy
30-08-04, 02:16
A panic attack that comes out of the blue ...
Can't be bothered to do anything ...
No energy...
Loss of sex drive ....
Aches and pains....
The occasional morbid thought ...

Yep that sounds perfectly normal to me. I know, as at some point I have had and still have all the things you mentioned above.

To quote my CPN
"How long can you stretch a bit of elastic constantly before it breaks?"

And I think what has happened to you, is just the same is what has happened to many of us.
Our mental elastic just can't take stress anymore and so it gives way for a while. Our mind and bodies way of telling us and making us learn to relax.
In your case the painful teeth was the final stretch.
In my case it was some lunatic who decided to yell abuse at me while trying to get my 2 special needs children on a bus to school.

And that then breeds the whole panic thing.

Sertraline, not just for depression. But used for anxiety too.
Some people take to it better than others.
I've been a fully paid up member of the Sertraline Club for the last 10 years ( off and on) and so far they have bounced me back everytime.

Medication, relaxation and positive thoughts don't begin to work over night. They can take weeks or even months before they begin to work.

Don't give up hope.
Don't worry so much, everything you are experiencing at this time is perfectly normal. Once you learn to handle it you will feel much better.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Abby
30-08-04, 13:43
HI
Im new to this forum
But i just wanted to say that what you are feeling is stuff ive felt before and often it can be a cycle- you fear the symptoms or you worry about them and that brings them on even more

I would say try a change of scenery if you can- go away with a good friend- a really good friend who wont judge and sit on a beach or in the long grass and just breathe deep and feel all the pressure left behind

When I used to get panic attacks I used to take each day as it came and each day set myself a little task- like getting to the end of the road to post a letter and not freaking out- making a compilation tape- doing some exercise- i know you dont feel like it- but even swimming or a short walk- would be good. It all takes time and patience and a self belief-
My therapist at the time got me to write down my thoughts each day- rating the anxiety and when it came seeing what the trigger cd be- its important to know the triggers as then you can find a way to deal with the symptoms. And most importantly make time for you to do nice things- there must be things you have always wanted to do- make a list of these things and if nothing else the list may just inspire you to get well again.
Theres some good books out there too- the alchemist paulo coelho for eg, stuff to inspire you....
I hope some of this helps and apologies if ive just repeated what you've already been told.
Good Luck!
:D

warren
31-08-04, 21:11
Hi Karl
I'm fairly new to this website and read your symptoms with interest. It seems that your physical problems are just about identical to mine. I've also had similar dealings with 5 different doctors(not by choice), and had the same tests in which the results initially make you feel better, until the mind starts playing games again. No definative answer from the Doc doesn't help either. You hit the nail on the head when you said you feel about 70 years old. I hope by hearing that someone else has the exact same symptoms helps a little, it does me. As I also seem to be in the early stages, I can only tell it's up and down. Hang in there, mate.
Warren

cuckoo, cuckoo!