PDA

View Full Version : Hello, and Introduction

TuxedoCat
01-12-14, 05:19
Hello. I'm a 24 year old woman from the US. Just recently got accepted into an MFA program that I'm very excited about. I'm generally kind of introverted, so I hope you'll all forgive me if I'm not very forum savvy.

I joined this forum because I suffer from various forms of anxiety. I think I've had it ever since I was very young, but the issues I currently deal with are more probably along the lines of six years. I have been diagnosed with adjustment disorder by my physician, but I think OCD is probably a more accurate one. This time, it tends to be on the "pure O" side of it, specifically "harm OCD" (directed at self, which is terrifying). I'm hoping being able to talk with others that are also going through it.

Other times, it's been health anxiety (when it's not harm ocd, it's health), a brief moment of harm ocd directed to my pets (but that was so laughably unlikely to even my jerk of a mind that it couldn't stick), and a brief moment of sexuality based ocd (I realized, no, I was actually socially anxious, not experiencing attraction), and one brief harm ocd directed at children.

More on my current harm OCD/anxiety:
I first got it 6 years ago when my cat passed away and I graduated high school. I started having "what ifs" about outright killing myself. I was terrified of these thoughts and after getting some therapy, they soon ended. The resurfaced near the end of my BA education and then a year after my graduation. Let me just say, I vastly prefer worrying about my health than about this. I feel like my mind is a civil war zone.

I am seeing a therapist every month or two. We're working with CBT. I don't think she has classified it as OCD, but just anxiety. It tends to come up with times of stress; this time it's money. I am not on any sort of medication because she believes it to be too situational dependent. I find that doesn't make it any less terrifying though. I practice daily meditation, journaling, I have an app that I can use to record and challenge my thoughts on (highly recommend it), and I practice a sort of "mindfulness" activity recommended by my therapist: pick an item and describe it non judgmentally, usually visual, but I've played with sound and tactile as well.

I'm a very private person normally, so I find talking about it very difficult. When these intrusive thoughts flare up, sometimes I can disregard them; other times I find it really hard to convince myself that they mean literally nothing. I become so frightened of them, so scared that they mean that I will one day, either in the near future or distant, want to act on them. I really don't want to die, I promise. In fact, I told a close friend that her best friend did kill himself and that was, to this day, the worst thing I've ever emotionally experienced. I'm very morally against it and it just feels so wrong to have these intrusive thoughts. These terrify me to my very core, to the point of wanting to cry in fear of them. I then think about telling others and the horror and lack of understanding that it would bring them and become even more frightened. Then I just feel guilty on top of being frightened. My chest becomes tight and I get sent into a panic attack where I have to fight back tears.

I remember these started up when I was holiday shopping and when I was thinking about what I could and could not afford. I also had the lovely thought of "I hope these thoughts don't return over the holidays." Such a wonderfully kind and generous mind I have to give me exactly what I do not want. At this point, they start to cause themselves, because I self check a lot. I think "oh, today has been good, no intrusive thoughts at all!" and then WHAM. Walked right into a trap. I become afraid of them, so when I think logically about how the cycle works, I actually start having them.

I was relieved to find a name for it and find out that it's relatively common, but it's still a very scary thing to deal with. My next therapy appointment is not until January, unfortunately. I might see if I can make an earlier one with another provider.

If anyone has any success stories about battling harm ocd (ideally one directed at yourself), I would really appreciate hearing them.

venusbluejeans
01-12-14, 05:24
Hiya TuxedoCat and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

TuxedoCat
01-12-14, 05:45
Thank you, venusbluejeans!

I have them saved for reading over breakfast tomorrow (as it is getting fairly late in my time zone).

kristaok
01-12-14, 14:14
Hello Tuxedo cat! Welcome to NMP!

I know intrusive thoughts are scary I've battled my fair share of them. The hardest part is the anxiety and the guilt of having those sort of thoughts. just know that those are just thoughts and they are.not your thoughts, also thoughts are not actions. As long as we don't act on these thoughts its not detrimental.

Ever tried replacing them with something positive? Like sometimes I'll have intrusive thoughts of what if I die by natural or suicidal causes, I then tell myself that I am a healthy young woman and I'm not suicidal. I tell myself these thoughts are an attack and they are not my thoughts, I know they are not, why? Because I don't want to die.

Death and the thought of it makes me sick.and nervous, so I also try to refute and refuse those thoughts. Another great idea is happy uplifting music, drawing, coloring, painting, reading, any immersive hobby will work.

TuxedoCat
01-12-14, 16:59
Hello, kristaok!

I agree, I think the guilt and the anxiety is the worst part of it. I can intellectually accept that these thoughts do not mean anything, but that doesn't really stop my emotional reaction and fear of them. I do try to remind myself that I am not in anyway suicidal. Sometimes it's easier than others for my emotional side to accept what my rational side is telling it. When it gets a little more intense, such as rapid racing 'what ifs', I try to distract myself with mediation breathing, taking the dog for a walk, or doing that mindfulness activity my therapist suggested.

I will do more drawing or painting, I think. That's normally very soothing. I have been reading, but just at night before meditation.

kristaok
01-12-14, 17:44
Hello, kristaok!

I agree, I think the guilt and the anxiety is the worst part of it. I can intellectually accept that these thoughts do not mean anything, but that doesn't really stop my emotional reaction and fear of them. I do try to remind myself that I am not in anyway suicidal. Sometimes it's easier than others for my emotional side to accept what my rational side is telling it. When it gets a little more intense, such as rapid racing 'what ifs', I try to distract myself with mediation breathing, taking the dog for a walk, or doing that mindfulness activity my therapist suggested.

I will do more drawing or painting, I think. That's normally very soothing. I have been reading, but just at night before meditation.

Drawing and painting really help me, sometimes I also play some relaxing tranquil sounds, and other times I game and get away from it all.

Also believe it or not cleaning around the house seems to help, its like I'm so focused there is no time for worry to pop up.

TuxedoCat
02-12-14, 00:52
I bet house cleaning helps a lot. One of my cats and an emergency surgery a few weeks back and I spent the entire time speed cleaning the entire house.

I noticed over the weekend I felt worse during the middle of the day, so I planned ahead today. I picked up my book and started reading as I felt my anxiety building (probably something from the expectation that it would build) and read right on through it. Not a single thought today that I couldn't ignore.

kristaok
02-12-14, 08:53
So the thoughts came even while you read or the reading helped?

TuxedoCat
02-12-14, 16:41
The reading helped. I think I did experience one or two, but they were more like echos than the stronger ones.