PDA

View Full Version : The common cold and cures - help!

nomorepanic
05-01-07, 22:52
I am seriously fed up at the moment. I am having recurrent colds every 2 or 3 weeks since November.

I have had over 7 days off work (not all at once but various days) as I have felt so rubbish and just as I get rid of one another comes back.

The latest one was the week before Xmas then was ok over Xmas and then wham Boxing day it was back with avengence. This lasted until Wednesday this week and then today I am back sneezing and sniffling and all red-nosed again.

It is driving me mad as I am constantly drained and fed up of feeling rubbish.

I am on Vitamin C and wanted to get a multi-vitamin as well but can't take most of them as all the ones I looked at contain niacin which interacts with my blood pressure medication so I am stuffed!

I can't take most cold and flu remedies as they contain caffeine and you really don't want to see me if I have caffeine lol - totally shaking and freaked.

What else can I do?

I know I am run down at the moment cos of various things going on but this is ridiculous to have over 2 months of colds.

I haven't been swimming since beginning of November cos I don't think it is a good idea with a cold so I am getting no exercise either.

I am constantly sneezing, fed up, miserable and feeling all heady and rubbish.

Help - has anyone got a cure for the common cold that I can take?

Not asking much am I but I don't want to go to the docs with just a cold - it seems to be a waste of his time.

I need to get well as there are big changes coming up in my life job wise and it will look great if I get a new job and am off sick a lot! [}:)]:(

Anyone got any tips please?

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

nomorepanic
05-01-07, 23:00
As an add-on...

I am on a low fibre diet at the moment (recommended by the GP and a dietician) so I can't eat loads of fruit and veg all day as it bloats me and I spend all day on the loo (say no more)!

Just mentioning this in case someone says eat loads of fruit and veg lol.

Nicola

honeybee3939
05-01-07, 23:03
Hi Nic

I havent realy got any advice for you, but want to send you a BIG HUG and hope it makes you feel better, i have a bad cold today and its driving me mad, so can imagine how awful it must be for you. I hope someone can come up with a cure for you hun.

Love

Andrea
xxxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

feege
05-01-07, 23:40
Hi Nic

It is a fact that a very high dose of Vit C will help prevent and reduce the symptoms of colds but your body needs Zinc in order to absorb the vit C - most people do not get enough zinc in their diet so I have found taking a zinc supplement as well has made a huge difference.

Despite being very run down, and all my other ailments I seldom get proper colds and at the first symptom I take extra vit C - your body can't retain it so it has to be on a regular basis.

Echinacea has also been shown to help prevent colds but needs to be taken regularly - you would need to check there are no contra-indications.

Soluble paracetomol is the only thing that helps me feel better with the symptoms - I don't know exactly why but it has to be soluble (maybe acts locally?).

Hot lemon with lots of honey and cloves (and whisky if you can! Must be Irish!) is really soothing - really helps the throat.

You probably know all this but I just want to send you a huge HUG. Colds really are horrible and debilitating aren't they - please take care of yourself and don't push too hard, let your body recover properly if you can.

Lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fee xxxxxx
www.like2like.com

Why live life anticipating the bad things when you could be anticipating the good?
Good and bad things WILL happen!

chillx
06-01-07, 00:47
Hi Nic

Sorry you are feeling under the weather. My husband and daughter are exactly the same both have had colds and we thought they had recovered then 4 days ago they began feeling worse than ever (I have moved into the spare room. lol).

I was also going to suggest echinacea but I am not sure if you can take that if you are on BP medication. What about metatone tonic (Boots sell it) I know that worked really well for my son when he was run down.

It is such a bad time of year for colds and flu and I know you also have alot on your mind with your job etc.. Hope you feel better soon.

chillx

mirry
06-01-07, 09:57
Nicola, one word ......"GARLIC"

I used to get heavy colds alot until an old lady told me to take lots of Garlic., it actually works.
I now swear by it cos every year I used to be on steriod tablets for heavy colds effecting my chest, since taking garlic (8 years) I havent had any steriod tablets.
ITS WELL DOCUMENTED
you can read about it here,
http://wwwamazinggracewholefoods.com/newsletter/garlic.htm

good luck

mirryx

giddy
06-01-07, 10:11
Try these
Chicken soup - my hubbie swears by it, apparantly there are chemicals in it that help you fight colds?!?
Ginger tea
Garlic - has a powerful anti viral
Cinnamon in your bath water to help congestion
Have a regular sauna - the air you inhale is too hot for cold bugs to survive
Eat yoghurt with the good bacteria in
Aerobic exercise is good - I read that if your cold symptoms are above your neck its OK to exercise, but below your neck, don't exercise.

Just a thought, could it be an allergy rather than a persistant cold?

Hope you feel better soon
Love Helen

pips
06-01-07, 10:25
Sorry Your Feeling so crap hun. Don't have much advise other then whats been already said really.

Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and sending you HUGE GET WELL SOON HUGS.

Loadsa Love & more HUGS.

Take Good Care,

PIP'S X X X X

Pippa.

bobsy
06-01-07, 11:07
Hi Nic

Real sorry your not feeling too clever at the moment heres a BIG HUG especially for you.

I dont really have any advice as i dont get many colds. Just a thought what about having a flu jab at drs -dont know if this will help but just a suggestion. I had to have one this year just in case.

Take special care of yourself

love bobsy ;)

nomorepanic
06-01-07, 16:13
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">It is a fact that a very high dose of Vit C will help prevent and reduce the symptoms of colds but your body needs Zinc in order to absorb the vit C - most people do not get enough zinc in their diet so I have found taking a zinc supplement as well has made a huge difference. </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I didn't know that about the Zinc but the Vitamin C tablets I am taking are 50mg Vit C and 15mg Zinc so I am guessing that is enough. It says one-a-day on it.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"> Echinacea has also been shown to help prevent colds but needs to be taken regularly - you would need to check there are no contra-indications.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I will pop down the chemist and ask about that as well.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"> You probably know all this but I just want to send you a huge HUG. </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

No I didn't know this so thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated Fee. You have given me some ideas.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I was also going to suggest echinacea but I am not sure if you can take that if you are on BP medication. What about metatone tonic (Boots sell it) I know that worked really well for my son when he was run down. </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Thanks Chill - I will look into both of those.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I used to get heavy colds alot until an old lady told me to take lots of Garlic., it actually works.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Mirry - Oh Garlic - didn't think of that. I guess I can get some garlic tablets as well. Thanks.

Giddy - thanks for all the tips. As it happens I had chicken soup for dinner last night!

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Just a thought, could it be an allergy rather than a persistant cold?</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

It could be but I can't think what has changed that I could be allergic to. I used to be allergic to cats but we have had our 3 for 8 years now so I assumed I was now immune to them.

Andrea, Pips and Bobsy - thanks for the hugs :)

Nicola

Piglet
06-01-07, 17:14
When I read this thread Nic I thought well how strange as I have been exactly the same for nearly all of December and so has the middle piglet - infact she's upstairs in bed now!!

Fee has already said much of what I would have said and she can actually spell echniature too - how clever!! I too prefer soluble paracetamol everytime!!

I also agree with Mirry about the garlic, I used to eat loads and never got colds (or kisses) but in the last year seemed to have cut back somewhat and definately had more in the way of cold like sessions.

You sound like you've already got the Vit C and Zinc covered but the other two are certainly worth a look.

Also extra stress does make us more suseptible and you are very busy with the new site (I'm sure once that is up and running things will calm down somewhat) and even if we love the Xmas season there is no doubt it is a busier time of year etc.

Perhaps once you're a bit better some nice reflexolgy sessions to keep you in balance would be nice. Or anything along the lines of a good chill session!!

I think I will try to take some of my own advice here too :D:D:D

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

jo61
06-01-07, 18:12
Hi Nicola, I've always found Echinacea great. If you feel a cold coming on it's worth dosing up on it. When the cold is established it's less effective in my experience. Garlic is wonderful too.

Love Jo xx

alexis
06-01-07, 21:55
Hi Nic, no real advice but wanted to post, perhaps a trip to the health farm will help you feel better, i know you enjoy this, also they may offer advice, but dont forget your stella before you go, lol.xxxx

Alexis
xx

Quirky
06-01-07, 22:49
Hi Nic,

Sorry to hear you're feeling rough with so many colds :(. I have had one myself that's not quite gone after three weeks.

Some good advice here already so can't add much but did you mean your vitamin C was 50mg? Or did you mean to say 500mg? I ask because 50mg is very low, the RDA for vitamin C is 60mg per day and most supplements have at least 120mg of vit C in them. For colds it's usually recommended to take at least 500mg or 1000mg tablets once a day.

I hope you feel much better soon :)

Lisa x

groovygranny
06-01-07, 22:56
Hi, don't think there are many in the whole country not feeling like this at the moment! We all seem to be in the same boat.

Don't know the answer, and neither does my doc apparantly cos he told me to just 'ride it out' [xx(]

But..he did suggest lots of hot, steamy baths and putting your head over a bowl of hot water with a few drops of Albas oil. This gives more relief from symptoms than cure I'm afraid but it might be worth a try!

Really hope you begin to feel better very soon Nicola,

lotsa luv

GG [:P]

xx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

nomorepanic
07-01-07, 17:49
LJ - I just checked the bottle and it says 60mg (my mistake in my previous post) but also says that is 100% of the RDA so should I be taking more than that then? I guess I will need to buy some different ones then.

GG - I do have one of those steamer things so will get that out again to use. Cheers.

Thanks Piglet, Jo and Alexis as well.

I seem to be cold free today - just hope it doesn't came this week as I have the job interview on Thursday and don't want to be sneezing all over the poor guy lol.

Nicola

Karen
07-01-07, 21:06
Hi Nic

I don't really have anything to add than what has been suggested already.

However, I hope your cold is finally on the way out and wanted to wish you luck for your interview. I hope it goes well.

Karen xx

henri
07-01-07, 22:50
Hi Nic,

I've had the same thing all through December - in fact, it's what really triggered my panic again! So annoying...
Anyway, all the advice you've had sounds great, hope it's working. I found vitamin C and paracetamol really helped, also porridge in the morning with lots of honey in it, as it soothes the throat. rubbing your chest with vicks before you go to bed helps soothe the throat, also olbas products - the inhaler helped me breathe in the night, and also that thing where you stick a few drops of olbas oil in a bowl of boiling water and cover your head with a towel and breathe it in.
this might sound weird, but getting loads of loads of sleep really helped me beat my cold.
i really hope you're feeling a bit better - i know how horrible a cold can make you feel,
henri xx

Quirky
07-01-07, 23:31
Hi Nic,

I think it would be worth you trying to take more than 60mg of vitamin C. That is the RDA for that vitamin but that reallys means that this is the minimum amount you need and these RDA's were set many years ago now and I believe they may be reviewed soon. Most nutritionists I have seen or talked to now say to take 1000mg per day, others say 500mg per day but I'd definitely get a higher one than 60mg and take it daily through the winter, especially while you have a cold too. recent studies show that while it may not prevent colds it can shorten the duration of them. I think even experts disagree on what level is idealto take but most agree at least 500mg now it seems. If I get a cold I take 1000mg per day, and some years I have taken that much every day all winter.

I hope your cold free status contiinues and good luck with the job interview on Thursday :D.

Lisa x