PDA

View Full Version : Hello :)

yungblonde
01-12-14, 21:55
Hi there

Earlier this year I was diagnosed with GAD and acute depression after seeking private counselling. I am not medicated and I do not want to be medicated.

I am not made of money and whilst I can sometimes afford to see my counsellor once/twice a month, it would be nice to have support in between sessions whilst also offering support to others if I feel I can.

My anxiety is pretty much always there. There's not a time when I'm not anxious and if I'm not anxious I'm agitated (although I try not to take this out on people personally, more just situations that annoy me).

I'm a rescuer apparently, so maybe that's why I've come here with the intention of believing I may be able to offer support to others.

I work within the legal sector currently and the law firm I'm within deals heavily with mental health so I work with mental health patients 5 days a week, without anyone at the law firm knowing that I suffer from a mental illness. I'm also extremely interested in psychology and I am considering studying a psychology degree at the Open University although I want to resolve some personal issues before pursuing this. But, generally if you catch me with a book it's always something psychological (fact or fiction).

Hope to make some friends and a decent online support network.

Nice to meet you all.

YungBlonde x

venusbluejeans
01-12-14, 22:01
Hiya yungblonde and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

yungblonde
02-12-14, 00:10
Thank you venusbluejeans :)

kristaok
02-12-14, 09:00
Hello Yungblonde, welcome to NMP.

Medications aren't always a bad thing, I only take xanax as needed, I'm not addicted to them, and they are a big help when I feel panic arise. I can understand why you don't want to take meds though.

I understand your want to help folks, but have you ever.considered taking time off to cure your own anxiety? It may make matters worse for you if you help others, as their issues may weigh heavy on your mind.

yungblonde
05-12-14, 20:55
Hello Yungblonde, welcome to NMP.

Medications aren't always a bad thing, I only take xanax as needed, I'm not addicted to them, and they are a big help when I feel panic arise. I can understand why you don't want to take meds though.

I understand your want to help folks, but have you ever.considered taking time off to cure your own anxiety? It may make matters worse for you if you help others, as their issues may weigh heavy on your mind.

Hi Kristaok

I just don't want to become dependent on them as I have quite an addictive personality and the idea of having my mood altered by something other than me has always freaked me out although I'm completely pro medication if it helps others, it's just me I think.

I feel like helping others eases my own anxiety because rather than thinking about my own issues I'm concentrating on finding solutions to other peoples. Although I know I have a lot of work to do myself if I can help others along the I think it would help. I guess I feel like understanding others issues can help you understand and overcome your own and everyone has different perspectives on things that you may not have thought of before :)

But thank you for the warm welcome :blush:

kristaok
06-12-14, 18:07
Hi Kristaok

I just don't want to become dependent on them as I have quite an addictive personality and the idea of having my mood altered by something other than me has always freaked me out although I'm completely pro medication if it helps others, it's just me I think.

I feel like helping others eases my own anxiety because rather than thinking about my own issues I'm concentrating on finding solutions to other peoples. Although I know I have a lot of work to do myself if I can help others along the I think it would help. I guess I feel like understanding others issues can help you understand and overcome your own and everyone has different perspectives on things that you may not have thought of before :)

But thank you for the warm welcome :blush:

Thanks for the reply, ya know what ya said makes sense..
:)

ladyhawke77
06-12-14, 18:45
hello and welcome.. i also like to help people as well as try and help myself