PDA

View Full Version : Terrified, did I have a mini stroke

sedalia
02-12-14, 21:31
Last night I awoke and had pins and needles in one side of my face which disappeared as soon as I woke and moved. I'm not sure if I had my hand jammed up against my face, but wouldn't I have got pins and needles in my hand rather than my face? I am so scared it was a mini stroke and that I'm going to have a massive stroke in a few days. I can't stop crying and I'm scared to go to sleep tonight.I am in such a state.

mcmd
03-12-14, 04:43
I had a similar experience but had pins and needles down the whole of my left side. The sensation went when I moved my body.

I saw a neurologist who did some strength tests and neurological tests and said that it was a trapped nerve from bad sleeping posture. As I did not lose any strength in my left side, it resolved on movement, my speech was fine and my face did not drop on one side the neurologist said there was nothing to worry about.

I was recommended to sleep on my back (avoid side sleeping) propped up with a couple of pillows and both arms should be kept straight at your sides. The problem resolved and I never experienced it again. Hope you feel better.

venusbluejeans
03-12-14, 13:31
sounds normal to me, you have to remember that when you are asleep you are completely relaxed which makes your body really quite heavy.... so if you lay in a odd way then you may wake up with pins and needles and tingling..

as soon as you moved the feeling went which says to me that it is nothing serious

sedalia
04-12-14, 09:09
Thank you both for your replies. Would it be common to get pins and needles in your face tho, from a trapped nerve? Its so awful having health anxiety, I expect most people would just turn over and go back to sleep without thinking twice about it. The ironic thing is, if I carry on worrying at this level I may very well have a major stroke.

MyNameIsTerry
04-12-14, 09:38
I know nothing about mini strokes, you would need to speak to a medical professional about that, but I do know about the many pins & needles issues you can get and they tend to come from sitting or lying in a position that causes a nerve to feel additional pressure.

There are loads of nerves that you can do this to, face, neck, legs, arms, etc.

It can also result from pressure and blood flowing away from that area. Think about when you cross your legs where you put one knee behind the other which eventually causes pins & needles.

mnaha
11-12-14, 06:30
So nice you got some answers..Good for you!