PDA

View Full Version : BFs blood tests - low platelet :( So worried

puzzledlass
03-12-14, 02:16
The doc called about my boyfriends blood test results today and he has low platelets. His are 115, when normal is 150. I'm so scared because he has had those petechie dots as well - both of these things link to leukemia.

I had a panic attack today over this. I am so afraid. She wants him to have more tests on the 22nd of this month.

I dont want him to die :(

Canbud
03-12-14, 02:46
I can certainly understand your concern. Aren't there other causes too, like like iron and b12 deficiencies, infections, etc.?

puzzledlass
03-12-14, 02:54
I don't know... He goes back later this month for retest

Starman
03-12-14, 05:38
I had those petechie dots once many years ago when I had viral infection. It went away when the virus was out of my body.

puzzledlass
03-12-14, 07:52
It's coupled with low platelets which worries me. :(

Starman
03-12-14, 10:57
Low platelets causes the pechechie which is when the capillary vessels on the surface of your skin burst because capillary walls become weak due to low platelets.

puzzledlass
03-12-14, 10:59
I wonder what is causing the low platelets.

anthrokid
03-12-14, 12:44
There are many other conditions/causes for low platelet count, hence the reason his doctor is ordering further blood tests to try and identify what the cause is :)

For example, some forms of anaemia can cause low platelets, as can some medications.

puzzledlass
04-12-14, 05:02
He's never had a blood test before now and he's 32!! Scared is something really bad like leukaemia/spleen/liver issues and it's too late... :( most likely causes I can see for this are leukaemia and blood probs.

MyNameIsTerry
04-12-14, 05:10
I really would try to put this out of your mind becauase as already mentioned, the dot can be a sign of a low platelet count and this one is a prime example of the Dr Google issue because even Ebola is on the list of possibles and whilst I don't want to worry you it is that (there is no way it will be!) but I hope you will see that its a very broad one so it doesn't just link to the one you have focussed on.

They can occur from injury and the low platelet counts can be caused by infections or certain medications. You can get the dots from a coughing bout.

If your GP thought it was serious they wouldn't be referring him for such a slow bloodtest, they would get him in quick (isn't there a 10 day rule for cancer checks thesedays?)

puzzledlass
04-12-14, 19:36
I'm not sure of any 10 day rule thing, it makes sense though.

He got his new blood test slip for later this month. It's testing for iron, ibc, cbc, coagulation screen and lipids.

MyNameIsTerry
05-12-14, 04:10
I think it was something I read about GP's having to refer within 10 days for tests to catch them quickly and it was in relation to standards across GP's.

anthrokid
05-12-14, 22:39
Those sound like the standard blood tests for investigating the cause of low platelet counts. In any case, I've had all of those done before, for the exact same reasons, and I have no dire medical conditions to report as yet. I know it can be difficult not to consider the worst case scenario, but logically speaking, the odds are in favour of it being something more along the lines of infection or anaemia.

puzzledlass
09-12-14, 05:26
I'm trying VERY hard to keep this in perspective. Then I remember the tests and results and it's like this big wave of panic and dread washes over me. I don't know what his WBC and RBC are like - he won't call the doctor to ask.

I don't want to lose him. He's everything to me.

puzzledlass
31-12-14, 22:15
Thought I would update here as well. Boyfriend got his results back from Dec blood test and everything is fine except his platelets have dropped further. 127 to 111. His doc said she could refer him to a haematologist but they would just monitor it, which she can do with monthly blood tests which is what she's doing.

Not sure why they have dropped further. It's not any obvious reason like anaemia so I am freaking out a bit over here!

puzzledlass
01-01-15, 05:43
Would cancer that has spread show wacky results in other parts of blood tests too?

Fishmanpa
01-01-15, 15:55
Would cancer that has spread show wacky results in other parts of blood tests too?

Yes, there would be markers and other indicators if in fact this were sinister. The fact that the doctors, while being cautious, are not overly concerned and are taking a "wait and see" approach means just that. It also means they're being good doctors. As far as being worried? Well, that's you PLass. You can choose to look at the worst case or choose to be positive and optimistic. The fact that everything else concerning the blood work is normal, you can choose to focus on that or the one thing that's a bit below the normal range.

Positive thoughts