PDA

View Full Version : Heartburn & Worry

LeeroyUK
03-12-14, 13:44
Hi Guys

I'm 31 and in good health, gym twice a week, football once a week, don't drink or smoke. However when I turned 30 last year I started getting Heartburn for the first time, this started becoming a weekly occurance coming and going. So after a few months of using Gaviscon I went to the Docs who asked me some questions, poked and proded along with bloods (which came back fine) and said it was Acid reflux. He gave me 20mg Omeprazole and it worked like a charm and I was fine for a few months. I was then stepped down to 10mg Omeprazole to use as need, which I take a couple of times a week so a months course usually lasts me 2-3 months.

I do have the odd blip but overall it's been just as effective as the 20mg dose.

My main worries are fear of Barratts Oesophagus and leading to cancer. I've always been a health worrier since my early teens, thinking every symptom is something terminal. This has mainly stemmed from reading patient stories online who also took meds for a while or more recently reading about an upcoming 'be clear on cancer' camapaign which focuses on heartburn for 3 weeks being a sign of cancer. I know that campaign is aimed at people older than me but it's still worrying. I am guilty of spending far too much time on google looking into these things. I always feel bad afterwards and think how I have wasted valuable time that I could of been doing something more productive.

Just after a little reassurance to people who are on similar medication and haven't had any further testing. My doctor did say it wasn't neccessary at the moment given how my heartburn is controlled on an as needed basis with the low dose omeprazole. I am grateful that it works, I just feel isolated sometimes that I'm the only person this age who has to take meds and may have to for a long time.

I have tried stopping them alltogether but it does creep back so I find that I do rely on them somewhat. I know worrying doesn't help.

Thanks for listening guys.

LeeroyUK
04-12-14, 13:09
Anyone?

LeeroyUK
28-01-15, 18:23
Still a little worried guys.

flipsake
28-01-15, 20:39
Hi Leeroy

Just noticed this today. I had been wondering if heartburn would pop up on NMP after the ad campaign.

I'm not on your medication but I can totally understand your concerns, they follow the pattern of every HA worrier on here. I.e.

1) your doc has misdiagnosed
2) catastrophising. It can't be the minor ailment it's always the worst case
3) assuming the most unlikely outcome is what's happening

Normally I'd say go see the doc if you're worried but you've done that already. In which case I would try and trust the doc. We don't live in a world where there is a constant stream of lazy useless doctors. By the way not judging you as I am just as bad as you or probably worse. Your doc probably thinks : Young, non smoker, non drinker, fit and the medication is effective. Trust your doc.

Also stop googling. It you are tending towards health anxiety your mission is now to reverse the trend and to stop worrying, believe me this problem can become a real pain so it's worth some effort now.

Hope that helps ?

LeeroyUK
28-01-15, 22:07
Hi Leeroy

Just noticed this today. I had been wondering if heartburn would pop up on NMP after the ad campaign.

I'm not on your medication but I can totally understand your concerns, they follow the pattern of every HA worrier on here. I.e.

1) your doc has misdiagnosed
2) catastrophising. It can't be the minor ailment it's always the worst case
3) assuming the most unlikely outcome is what's happening

Normally I'd say go see the doc if you're worried but you've done that already. In which case I would try and trust the doc. We don't live in a world where there is a constant stream of lazy useless doctors. By the way not judging you as I am just as bad as you or probably worse. Your doc probably thinks : Young, non smoker, non drinker, fit and the medication is effective. Trust your doc.

Also stop googling. It you are tending towards health anxiety your mission is now to reverse the trend and to stop worrying, believe me this problem can become a real pain so it's worth some effort now.

Hope that helps ?

That's a HUGE help, really appreciate it. Yeah I guess the ad campaign did freak me out a little, but I have since learnt it's more aimed at people over 50. Also I went to the docs in 2013 so I've already followed the right advice and got onto some good meds for it which help loads. I just need to learn to not miss them and most of all RELAX and stay away from google, I swear it makes ten times worse.