PDA

View Full Version : Low iron

paranoidjh
03-12-14, 16:49
Got blood test results yesterday. I am low on iron. Doctors says need telephone appt so they can't be that worried. Can't get one until next week. Sister in law is a nurse and said go and get some iron tablets from chemist. Has anyone else had this, I feel tired when I come home from work and have spells of light headedness. Am always yawning too. Does anyone know I this is normal for low iron. Have heavy periods which I suspect is the cause

popejoan
03-12-14, 17:11
Yes, it's normal among women. I did have very low iron before and now I have very low ferritin levels, although iron and hemoglobin were good. Feeling tired, dry skin, shortness of breath, lightheadedness are all common symptoms of iron deficiency. It is difficult for the body to absorb iron from vegetables as they are difficult to digest. Poultry is a good source, red meat is also a good source of iron and easier to digest. If you're not a big fan of these, there are very good superfood powders like barley grass, wheat grass, spriluna, all very good sources for iron and easier to digest. I think you should wait for your doctor appointment, s/he will give you some iron tablets, it's easier for body to absorb them if you take them with vitamin c, like a glass of orange juice. Hope I could help x

paranoidjh
03-12-14, 17:23
Thanks for that, what is the difference between ferritin and iron. Will iron tablets get rid of the light headed feeling. Is not always light headed, it is sometimes fuzzy if that makes any sense.

chickpea
03-12-14, 17:42
Don't get iron tablets, get Spatone - natural iron source in liquid form, that you add to orange juice. Miles better tablets, recommended by my midwife when I was pregnant both times (I was anaemic) and don't have the horrible side effects that iron tablets can cause.
You can.buy Spatone sachets in the supermarket - £5 or less.

paranoidjh
03-12-14, 17:47
Thanks chickpea. Will have a look for that. Just need to get rid of the fuzzy feeling. Feels like I have permanent head cold. Hoping this is what has been the cause.

popejoan
03-12-14, 21:55
Basically ferritin helps store iron in the body, if you have low ferritin it indicates that you are developing iron deficiency. I'm sure your gp will prescribe some iron tablets, s/he knows which one is the best for you so I wouldn't recommend getting some before your gp appointment. You can start with getting more iron naturally until you see your doctor.

paranoidjh
04-12-14, 22:10
Would this be why my eyes feel constantly strained/tired.

maybeoneday
27-12-14, 23:26
im at wits end ive been feeling tired exausted over a year had bloods done october and ferritin levels were 10 i took iron tablets for a week but gave me bad stomach so i just didnt take them doc said it will be ok, anyway since november been feeling worse very ired depressed sometimes anxious dizziness and a feeling like ive gone off balance few for seconds like if you go to sit down and miss the seat feeling!! i went back to docs and she said said sound like i may of gone lower in iron so had blood test again and it came back that my levels are now 32 so she im fine not defiecienT JUST WONDEIRG IF THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE LEVELS GONE UP BUT NOT TOOK MEDS I FEEL SO ILL THOUGH AND THE DIZZINESS OFFF BALANCE THING ISNT NICE AT ALL.