PDA

View Full Version : Back again. still worried about ALS symptoms. Need some assurence.

StephenR
03-12-14, 20:20
Hey y'all!

I posted on here a few days ago about my ALS concerns and just wanted to add some new info. While I have been told by everyone that there is no way that could be what is happening to me, I am still freaked out because every nurse that has looked at my wrist has just glanced at it and said it's probably just a pull. It's been weeks and weeks since I put any kind of stress on my wrist that I can think of and one of the tendons in my wrist is still swelled. Now, just today I woke up and it feels like my left hand is weak. It feels just slightly off and it is making my mind race. All the symptoms are there. No pain, weak hand (only one side) and constant fatigue. I am losing my mind. Nobody wants to take it seriously. I am only 23 and I know how it "usually" effects people that are much older. I just want to hear something that can make me believe that this swelling of my tendon is normal and the weakness is in my head. I truly believe that it is, but my mind won't settle on that. I am new to all this HA stuff. Any help would be fantastic.

Canbud
03-12-14, 21:15
For starters, nowhere in any ALS literature does it say that a pulled or enlarged tendon is an ALS symptom. It's simply not the case.

Second, I don't have to tell you the odds of having ALS at your age--something like less than a percent.

Third, a more logical explanation would be than you have a pinched nerve. Those suckers take a lot longer to heal.

StephenR
03-12-14, 21:42
Thanks so much! The only thing I am wondering about is the fact that I don't feel any pain at all in my wrist. This sounds like a good thing but it's making me nervous because it seems like all of the conditions it could be are closely related to pain. All except for ALS. Tha is again for your fast reply!

Canbud
03-12-14, 22:06
Pinched nerves don't necessarily hurt --you get sort of a numbness and tingling thing going.

For example, this: http://www.mayoclinic.org/pinched-median-nerve/img-20006136

Seems a much more logical explanation than early onset ALS. :)