PDA

View Full Version : Convinced myself I have cancer

So
04-12-14, 00:23
I feel so worried just want to curl up in bed and cry :(

So I did the stupid thing that is Google my symptom and I am convinced I have cervical cancer. the most common symptom for cervical cancer is the exact symptom I am experiencing and I was wondering how common this type of cancer is.. It says online it's the most common in women under 34 and I'm really freaking out. Whyyy did I have to google the symptoms :wacko:

popejoan
04-12-14, 01:18
Hello, I've been through this fear and I would like to share my story with you and reassure you as much as I can.

First of all, where did you read "It's the most common in women under 34"? It is certainly not true. it takes years and years and years for cervical cancer to develop. I agree that none of us should google our symptoms but we all do, at least we should read medical sites not forums in which other people write, just like we do here, we are not doctors.

In order to develop cervical cancer, you have to have hpv+, not genital warts though, the specific hpv strains that can cause cervical cancer. Most of the time, the body clears itself from the virus within 2 years, sometimes however hpv can cause some cell changes in the cervix area. Again, mostly these cell changes can turn to normal on its own. In rare cases, these pre-cancerous cells become cancerous.
You can 100% prevent this to happen by having your routine cervical screening tests. If there are cell changes (which is definitely not a death sentence) accompanied with a high risk hpv+ strain, you are referred for a colposcopy. They look at the cells with a magnified microscope take biopsies in order to see how severe the cell changes are. The precancerous cell changes are called CIN.
CIN1 is borderline to mild changes, in this case, you don't need a treatment, but you need to have annual colposcopies. If the changes are CIN2 and CIn3 they remove the cells and you are monitored routinely to make sure you never develop cancer.

I had borderline changes and high risk hpv+, ofcourse it was a shock for me but I had my colposcopy, the changes were not precancerous and was due to endometriosis, now I'm back to 3 year routine.

Can I ask how old you are? If you are 25+ you need to have cervical screening tests every 3 years and as long as you have your tests you will be fine. Can I ask what kind of symptoms are you experiencing?

marie398
04-12-14, 01:23
I agree with popejoan. What is the symptom you are experiencing anyways So? You need to remember that googling always leads to the worst results and we jump to the worst conclusions..when the issue we have is probably the most common (so not a cancer!).

Is it really true that you need 3 cervical tests every year? My doctors have never mentioned anything like that. I'm just wondering what they do for these tests so i can ask about them, thanks!

popejoan
04-12-14, 01:34
Oh sorry it was a typo, English is not my first language so I might have made some mistakes. It's different in every country but in England it's every 3 years, and this changes when you have cell changes, I think when it's mild you're checked once a year.

I think what she read was about Hpv. Hpv is transmitted by sexual contact and is more common in young men and women as they are sexually more active than older people.

marie398
04-12-14, 01:50
Thanks joan for all that information, its very helpful. Yeah 3 years seems like the protocol here too.
Was just wondering because I avoid googling at all costs lol, I always find something wrong with me when I google anything.

Thanks again

popejoan
04-12-14, 01:54
Yes I definitely understand and admire this really, I can't stay away from google. I learn a lot but at the same time some things I read make me panic a lot, I don't even remember how many times I convinced myself having a serious illness, it's mostly cancer for me. Don't give in and never google :) Take care and you're welcome x

So
04-12-14, 07:24
The symptom I am experiencing is bleeding after intercourse, I will bleed dark brown blood for about 4/5 days and this has happened twice now. I am 24. Thankyou for your replies

kristaok
04-12-14, 12:56
Cervical cancer is so rare, please don't even worry about it. :)

When intercourse happens sometimes women do bleed if the man is big and he bangs her cervix. Also sometimes old period blood can come out through sexual intercourse.

Could you be pregnant?

popejoan
04-12-14, 14:57
It does happen sometimes but if you're worried make an appointment with your GP and tell them what you're experiencing.

KenanW
04-12-14, 16:37
I think everyone with anxiety experiences these grim thoughts at some point! We tend to think all the worst, scariest things are happening / going to happen to us. Don't worry about it! The internet is great in so many ways, but can be such a devil for us anxious folk :) Hope your ok now & Popejoans comment really nails it! x

popejoan
04-12-14, 17:48
Thank you :) x