PDA

View Full Version : has anyone use SAD light therapy

jos
06-01-07, 10:25
hi all

had a bit of a nasty relaspe into anxiety with depression in last few days but have been having some problems through the autumn - i came off SSRIs in june and have wondered whether the lack of sunlight has contributed - not been back to my Gp as don't think he can help much unless i go back onto anti-d's - feel i have to do something to help in addition to my general coping/ lifestyle changes - one thing that appeals is getting a SAD light therapy box - i Know its not the whole answer but need to do something

has anyone tried this - i've read some good reports - if it can give a seratonin boost then it will do the same as an SSRI

cheers jos

does anyone

LickeyEndBlues
06-01-07, 10:30
Search members for "Chopper" as he often mentions a light box.

Hope that helps

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

bearcrazy
06-01-07, 17:21
Hi,
I always feel bad at this time of the year and so this year am using a light box. I am a teacher and have it on during the day at school. Dont know yet if it works but the kids love the brightness of it! We certainly know if it isnt on!

I'd give it a try, if you can afford it!

clickaway
06-01-07, 17:27
I did think about buying one, but found that I did not feel any different if it was a clear winters day with blue sky or of it was murky and wet. So I decided against it, and rely on talking and reassurance to give me relief.

I believe even Argos sell them if your budget is limited.

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Insomniac
06-01-07, 22:07
The light box sounds interesting. I was chatting to my sister about them the other day. I suggested she should try one. She gets so depressed in the winter, but is fine the rest of the year.

Let me know how you get on if you do get one.[8D]

Lisa.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

bb01234
08-01-07, 03:42
One of the best ways to see how bad tungsten lighting is to take a couple of snaps in the house with a digital camera.

Take the first 'as is' and the second, assuming your camera permits, set the colour balance to tungsten and shoot again.

When you compare them you will see the lack of real light we live in when we switch on tungsten lighting. All the accomodating is done in our brains but the key ingredients, real light, is missing.

Useful for comparison.

Regards

Brian

Chopper
08-01-07, 09:01
Mornin' Jos,

I'm the 'Chopper' Iain (LickyEndBlues) referred to in his recent posts.

I've had 'bad days' during the Autumn/Winter, every year since 2001, and this year have been using a lightbox to simulate natural light - I've got it on now in front of my screen - and even if it is a placebo I've found that unlike a lot of people on Citalopram (I'm on 40mg a day) I'm sleeping well at night. Mine is a Lumie Brightspark and cost, I think, £115.

Since the clocks went back I've been using the box for longer each day (from 07:45 until, probably, around 12:30 today) and going to bed earlier each night. But even if my days are getting shorter at least I'm sleeping longer.

Happiness and light to you,
'Chopper'

I saw her once, one little while, and then no more:
’Twas Eden’s light on Earth a while, and then no more.
Amid the throng she passed along the meadow-floor:
Spring seemed to smile on Earth awhile, and then no more;
But whence she came, which way she went, what garb she wore
I noted not; I gazed a while, and then no more!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

999madmax
08-01-07, 14:58
Hi All,
I have never heard anything about this before, It sounds very promising and very interesting!
Recently i have had anxiety with a similar issue and i think i am going to get one and try it out! I have very dry skin because i don`t get enough light to it - Even though my window gets direct sunlight, Maybe its the air too!? Dunno [Sigh...]

LOL
Madmax
-*-

bb01234
08-01-07, 15:20
ref your skin - take a read of my post about omega 3.

People 'forget' that skin is an organ of the body and to that extent problems with this are often either a) a symptom of an unconscious problem, or b) dietary.

I would get a rash on the exact same place on my hand when I was stressed - laughable really - just like a switch.

Certainly serotonin will have a part to play but you need to look at a bigger picture

good luck

regards

brian

999madmax
08-01-07, 21:16
Hey there..
Brian, I think i know what you mean. I always seem to itch alot when i am anxious and its not in 1 part; Its all over my legs, hands and face. Does this make it worse?
Tis very annoying, It also makes me feel paranoid about everything even if i have locked myself in my own room!

LOL
Madmax
-*-

jos
09-01-07, 07:51
hi all

Day 4 of SAD lamp - things have settled a lot - being treated for a chest infection now which may be significant as first big anxiety attack was short of breath at 4000m in Bolivia - current minicrash also started on 2nd anniversary of my major breakdown after flying home from australia (end of bolivia trip) - a psychology friend always asks me "is it a significant anniversary?" whenever i have a wobble - maybe there is something in it!

Anyway thanks for the feedback on light therapy

here are a few websites i found

http://www.psychdirect.com/depression/d-treatmentguidelinesSAD.htm

http://www.outsidein.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.sada.org.uk/

will let you know how it goes - from reading there is a suggestion that we get a natural seratonin low in the winter so if your levels are already low due to other stresses then maybe light therapy could help general depression

Better than SSRI's if it works - nice bright desklight if it doesn't

cheers jos

sarah1984
11-01-07, 11:58
Hi everyone,
Was browsing on the Boots website and I notice they have a very good range of SAD lamps-a lot of them are incredibly expensive (over £100), but I noticed they've reduced one, the LED SAD lamp from £74.95 to £49.95, which seems pretty reasonable.
Sarah:)

jos
11-01-07, 18:18
hi all
back to work today - was very anxious yest but was good - beginning to enjoy seeing patients again - (i'm a physio)

I have decided that i need a better attitude to starting the day and the SAD lamp really helps with that - I also went for a swim at 730 am before i would have gone to work had i not been off sick - it really started the day early and yes i crashed a bit later but i had already achieved quite a lot so felt better than i would have otherwise.

The routine now is to accept an early wake and not fight it bystaying in bed late - was 4am then 5am now 6am - its the letting the anxiety rule in the early morning that is worse than the short night - easier said than done i know but anytime after 7am the lamp goes on - i have a list of easy chores (emails, swim, shopping from 24 hr shop, put out rubbish, post letters) to get the day started - i save such easy chores rather than do them in the evening stay up too late- also accept that there will be crashed in the day but i'm hoping that a better start will lead to a better day overall and a better day leads to a better week and so on

Still wobbly at work with some bouncing up and down of moods but a hell of a lot better than last time i was off work due to anxiety

i've seen SAD lamps on e-bay and there must be quite a few second hand - check out the SADA link above of test loans of lamps

good luck all - i'm only sorry that they don't give a tan as well!!

jos

Chopper
23-01-07, 09:21
Hi all,

How's everyone getting on with their S.A.D. lamps?

I've got my sleeping patterns just right, maybe it's the lightbox, maybe not, who cares?!

It might be an expensive acquisition but, in my case at least, I do think they work, even if it is a placebo!! If you know what I mean?

Let us know how you've found the light therapy?

Happiness and light to all,
'Chopper'

I saw her once, one little while, and then no more:
’Twas Eden’s light on Earth a while, and then no more.
Amid the throng she passed along the meadow-floor:
Spring seemed to smile on Earth awhile, and then no more;
But whence she came, which way she went, what garb she wore
I noted not; I gazed a while, and then no more!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849