PDA

View Full Version : Heartburn Worries

LeeroyUK
04-12-14, 13:12
Hi Guys

I'm 31 and in good health, gym twice a week, football once a week, don't drink or smoke. However when I turned 30 last year I started getting Heartburn for the first time, this started becoming a weekly occurance coming and going. So after a few months of using Gaviscon I went to the Docs who asked me some questions, poked and proded along with bloods (which came back fine) and said it was Acid reflux. He gave me 20mg Omeprazole and it worked like a charm and I was fine for a few months. I was then stepped down to 10mg Omeprazole to use as need, which I take a couple of times a week so a months course usually lasts me 2-3 months.

I do have the odd blip but overall it's been just as effective as the 20mg dose.

My main worries are fear of Barratts Oesophagus and leading to cancer. I've always been a health worrier since my early teens, thinking every symptom is something terminal. This has mainly stemmed from reading patient stories online who also took meds for a while or more recently reading about an upcoming 'be clear on cancer' camapaign which focuses on heartburn for 3 weeks being a sign of cancer. I know that campaign is aimed at people older than me but it's still worrying. I am guilty of spending far too much time on google looking into these things. I always feel bad afterwards and think how I have wasted valuable time that I could of been doing something more productive.

Just after a little reassurance to people who are on similar medication and haven't had any further testing. My doctor did say it wasn't neccessary at the moment given how my heartburn is controlled on an as needed basis with the low dose omeprazole. I am grateful that it works, I just feel isolated sometimes that I'm the only person this age who has to take meds and may have to for a long time.

I have tried stopping them alltogether but it does creep back so I find that I do rely on them somewhat. I know worrying doesn't help.

Thanks for listening guys.

popejoan
04-12-14, 15:24
Hello, I just wanted to share my story and hope it helps you.

I'm a 30 years old, female and was bulimic for 14 years, I've been fully recovered 2.5 months ago. I'm telling you this because when you vomit, you vomit the acid in your stomach as well, and I used to feel the acid in my mouth when vomiting. (sorry for the details).
3 months ago my Health anxiety got out of control. I was having heartburn, acid reflux and was feeling that food is getting stuck. Unfortunately I googled it and convinced myself I have stomach or esophageal cancer.
My gp referred me for an endoscopy and let me tell you, everything was normal. After years of vomiting, horrible heartburn, acid reflux, everything was all okay. Strangely, after the endoscopy I'm not experiencing these sypmtoms that much anymore. I'm much much better. So I'm thinking it was mostly anxiety.
I also want to tell you that only 2% of people with Barrett's Esophagus will develop esophageal cancer. Hope it helps, take care.

LeeroyUK
04-12-14, 16:11
Thanks popejoan. Sorry to hear about your situation and glad you are on the mend! Very reassuring words. I tend to look too far into things and need to stop worrying about the what if's.

popejoan
04-12-14, 17:46
Thank you and I'm glad I could help :)