PDA

View Full Version : newbie terrified of weird chest symptoms!

johnredcorn
05-12-14, 05:36
please help me :( i am at my wit's end.
here is a brief history.
i have just turned 27. admittedly i am not the most healthy eater. i am overweight and have been my whole life. i carry all my extra weight in my butt. i am pretty active though, work retail and try to walk as often as i can up hills in my neighborhood.
that being said... my whole life i would hear from media and family that a heart attack was right around the corner for me being fat. i've come to realize i've internalized these messages a lot over the years.
i have not been to a doctor in a long time. no health ins. i finally have booked an appointment (earliest i could get for a new patient with no insurance was next month sadly)
anyway... i pretty much was carefree up until a cousin of mine died suddenly. it was chalked up to a heart attack although i am wondering if how much she drank/smoke played in to effect.
anyway i became obsessed with my heart after this convinced the same would happen to me. i have been obsessively monitoring my blood pressure and going through phases where i starve myself to limit any sodium and saturated fats and wind up making myself sick. any time i eat a normal meal i beat myself up over it and obsess over what horrible thing will happen to me as a result.
my own dad has high blood pressure, my mom has recently developed HBP in recent years and at 50 years she has a leaky valve. but her doctor put her on meds and she said she no longer has any issues with it.
ANYWAY, fast forward to whats currently happening.
last week my teeth began hurting. i immediately assumed this is linked to a heart attack as it is always one of the "symptoms women should not ignore"... my parents told me it was most likely sinus related. one night i started feeling nauseous and shivering and headachey. i then assumed this was definitely an aneurysm. i woke up with a fever. of course i checked my bp which was slightly elevated (most days it does run around 117/60) but my heart rate was 101!!! i freaked out and luckily when i got home from work i slept to sleep the fever off. although...and this is what brought me here.
i woke up with a very weird sensation in my chest in the middle of the night. almost like a cat purring INSIDE my chest. and sometimes it would maybe stop and felt kind of weird. like a missed beat or something. this went on for a little while and i turned over and it kinda went away. i went back to sleep with no issues. tried to have a normal day yesterday but it was in the back of my mind. and then it happened again last night! i had a nightmare and woke up and had that feeling again, only my heart was racing from the nightmare too.
my whole day has been ruined and i've been sick in bed basically on the verge of tears because of this odd sensation. i am tired and terrified to sleep.
please can anyone help me or at least talk to me? i am desperate :(

---------- Post added at 05:36 ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 ----------

i wanted to add, bp and heart rate have been relatively normal today even though i've been freaking out, and there is no pain associated with the feeling.

Canbud
05-12-14, 05:54
It sounds to me like you've had this fear about your health at the back of your mind, maybe a little guilt too because you haven't seen a doctor, and then the death of your cousin jump-started your anxiety big time.

Anxiety can really make us feel like we are ill--our hearts race, we feel faint, ill, etc. It's a real beast.

I would suggest you stop checking your blood pressure. It's just aggravating your anxiety and making it worse.

Realize too that you felt perfectly well until your cousin died, and it was then that your symptoms appeared. This makes it more likely that your symptoms are anxiety-based.

Try not to worry. :hugs:

johnredcorn
05-12-14, 06:01
thank you so much for replying... it is crazy when i started to realize how similar the symptoms of anxiety are to mostly every disease out there...
it is a big help just to talk about whats going on. i appreciate it a lot!

johnredcorn
05-12-14, 19:49
no one else has ever had these symptoms?