PDA

View Full Version : Symptom Update- ALS Worrier.

StephenR
05-12-14, 18:15
As I mentioned in my previous posts, I am a 23 year old college student with a new obsession with my health and anxiety.

I have been worried for weeks that I have the early symptoms of ALS. It all started randomly when my legs felt tired all of the time and I couldn't stop twitching all over my body. One day, my legs will feel like bricks, the next my arms and hands will feel tired and clumsy. It is dragging me down to a level I have never been to before. Now one thing that I do have going on is swelling in my wrist that has been there for weeks. It looks like a big bulge coming out every time that I flex my left hand. Its really soft and feels like a muscle. Recently, I was given a wrist brace to see if that would help. It was around then that a new symptom began. This one is not in my head. There is an area of my thumb that feels completely numb. Just a strip of it in the area that rests against the table when you place your hand on it. It is beginning to really freak me out. Is this the start of something serious? Is i a pinched nerve? Carpal Tunnel? What? There is no pain at all, none. just numbness and the occasional pins & needles. I am going to the doctors on Monday to get it checked out and to see if I do need some kind of anxiety medication. These symptoms are real though and I don't think this is all in my head. I am scared of what I might find out in the coming months.

Please, if any of you have been though something like this or have any idea what is going on with me, I would love to hear about it. Thank you in advance. This place is awesome and has helped me multiple times.

cattia
05-12-14, 21:08
I am sure that your symptoms are real but there are about a million things that are more likely to be causing them than ALS. It's a rare illness anyway but to get it at your age would be so unlikely. Swelling is not a symptom of ALS. It sounds more like a muscular thing or a trapped nerve. I know someone at work who has recently been diagnosed with ALS. I am not going to go into what his symptoms were but believe me, it was very, very obvious to everyone around him very quickly that there was something seriously wrong. ALS is not a subtle disease. If you had it you would know about it for sure.