PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelming anxiety - under 1 week taking meds

Rockgirl
07-12-14, 14:42
Hi there
I've had recurrent episodes of anxiety over the last 12-13 years. The last one was 3 years ago when I had to be off work for 8 weeks and really struggled to function until the meds kicked in (I had to change them as seroxat made me feel worse, then put on escalitopran which did after a bit). Have been taking 5mg since Monday. Side-effects of heightened anxiety, loss of sleep/appetite, generally in fearful state. Is this normal and will it go away? I have changed jobs and am still in my probationary period so worried about taking too much time off! Job is a large part of my anxiety and am petrified of losing it as I'm a single parent of an 8y/old. Any support/advice would help at this moment in time please - feel like I'm never going to get better!
Thanks

debs71
07-12-14, 15:40
Hi Rockgirl,

I think I may have answered on your other post about this, but YES, these symptoms will go away. They are not pleasant I know, and when you have them they do feel like they will not go away, but they honestly will. Unfortunately, it just takes time for the serotonin levels to 'settle in' in your brain, and reach the point where they tackle your anxiety.

That is all that Escitalopram does. It just tops up the decreased serotonin that contributes to GAD. Once it reaches the optimum level again, you will feel a lot better, but while it is not quite there yet, the side effects increase your anxiety.

The side effects are a necessary thing you just have to kind of accept and face head on in order to get to feeling much, much better.

This will pass. Keep busy if you can. Don't sit and focus on how bad you are feeling. Keep going with as normal a routine as possible. I know it feels awful, but it won't be forever. x

Rockgirl
07-12-14, 16:04
Thanks Debs and you have helped before. I know meds have worked for me too in the past, I will try and take on board all your suggestions...thanks again :)

Goldfinch
08-12-14, 05:55
Hi Rockgirl,

Just thought I'd say hello as I am having similar problems (struggling with work, single parent) and I haven't started on the meds yet! Not looking forward to it! But yes, I do remember when I've taken them before they have worked really well after the initial difficult stage, so hang in there.

Jippins
08-12-14, 06:42
I have experienced this but it was the opposite, I was weaning off my meds and had to take like two weeks off of school to get back to feeling "normal" again. However, I remember it taking some time for meds to start working when I would first go on them, some even took up to a month before I felt better, I guess it depends on the medication you were prescribed.

Hang in there :)

Rockgirl
08-12-14, 09:55
Thanks Goldfinch and Jippins. Not feeling so alone does help :)