PDA

View Full Version : Phonophobia noisy neighbours

Search_for_solutions
07-12-14, 17:43
Hi

[Excuse me for my poor English]

I have/had the same problem, which I feel coud be properly labeled as a sort of "phonophobia" (neighbours); in my case, things seemed to go worse and worse with time, with increasing anxiety and bit of depression. Didnt get much help from other more conventional solutions (useful for other people).

A few months ago I decided to start solving the whole problem "my way", by starting a virtual neighbourhood-sound-self-therapy, with no bad results. To summon up, I was able to create a few mp3 sound tracks which include a variety of clips such as voices, doors, squeaking chairs, and all the usual noises I feared at home (Tools: Audacity free sound editor, + free downloaded sound clips + records I managed to tape on my own).

Concrete results? Though still on course. I would say about 75% fear reduction; a significant higher tolerance to common life usual noises at home; and for the first time in many years a feeling that things could improve...

I thing it is a sort of self-administered virtual exposured therapy (desensitisation?) which has been quite effective in my case.

I would like to know related experiences of other members and, of course, I am ready to share with the "know-how" of this "technique". Please let me know of your efforts , if you are trying something similar.

By the way, I am a basic-level user of computers, with limited skills in this field. That seems to be enough for our purpose.

Best greetings from

"Search-for-solutions"