PDA

View Full Version : Doubt & Anxiety

elik
08-12-14, 11:35
Hiya,

I am really struggling here. I have had a bad stint of anxiety for about three weeks now and I am fed up now. I have tried all techniques to get rid but here I am, worrying away...

At the moment, my current intrusive thought is ridiculous but it has got a massive hold on me as its a massive threat that makes me feel sick to my stomach;

- Have I ever cheated on my boyfriend?

This is ridiculous, as deep down I know I haven't, but I am almost trying to relive any time I have gone out, any person I speak to, to search whether there is reason for this doubt. It is so bad to the point that I don't want to even leave my boyfriends side as what if I do something bad. Baring in mind, I am so against cheating it repulses me beyond belief, this is also making me hate on myself. The threat behind this anxious thought is losing him, who I love beyond words, or almost believing that I have done something wrong when there is no evidence.

Please help, its making me feel physically ill and I can't have my anxiety sabotaging anything else in my life!!!

Thanks guys

Jayamashey
08-12-14, 17:26
Hi Elik,

Intrusive thoughts can cause so much doubt and shame. For me that was the hardest thing to deal with. I would be fine for stretches but then the doubt would kick in and spiral me downward again.

The best thing you can do is accept the thought NOT the meaning of the thought.

Tell yourself "My anxiety is going to cause me to think this thought, I know its just my anxiety, and I will allow it to think it, BUT I will not give it any attention".

You are not ignoring it, you are just letting it be. It sucks, it will feel like rubbish, but as you do that it will get easier to handle. It may come and go in intense waves but keep reminding yourself its just a thought. Don't analyze or think about whether you did it, just let it sit there.

It takes practice but you can do it and you will persevere.

elik
09-12-14, 10:27
Thank you again. I am doing quite well at letting it be, but there is always that 'what if' thought and discomfort that I can't leave alone. Surely I can't just live with a thought that destroys my happiness and makes me feel so much doubt and uncertainty? :(

91Aycliffe
14-12-14, 18:17
I have same sort of prob. I love my wife and family but my thoughts keep telling me I want to go and see this girl I saw at a funeral behind the bar. Really crazy thoughts killing me didn't even talk really to her and at the time it didnt even enter myind. Anxiety trying wiv me again u will be ok