PDA

View Full Version : Sudden nosebleed...bit freaked out

debs71
09-12-14, 13:35
Hi All,

I've posted this in the Health Anxiety bit, as although I'm not a HA sufferer, I am quite worried about what has just happened!

I was having some soup for lunch which went down the wrong way, so I suddenly choked/coughed and my nose started to run, so I grabbed a tissue. Upon taking the tissue away, I noticed blood on it. I checked where it had come from, and it was from my left nostril.

I have had very, very tiny bleeds from my nose before, but certainly not as much as this one, but what REALLY freaked me out was when I coughed again and there was some blood in my saliva/mucus.

Now I am trying to stay calm and figure that this is blood that has come from my nose and trickled down, but since I have never had anything like this before, I am freaking a bit. My anxiety/panic atacks has been a real issue this past month or so, but I have been managing pretty ok and getting on with things, but this has worried me a bit.

I have no upper gastric issues right now. No chesty issues.

Just looking for some words of wisdoms or thoughts please....Thanks in advance.x:wacko:

robin321
09-12-14, 13:42
This happens to me sometimes. In fact, sometimes for no reason. I will just be sitting there, and it feels like my nose is running. And blood comes out.
Usually I will get a bunch together - over a month or so... (maybe 1 or 2 a week). I think this is because it is hard for the veins in the nose to heal since it is moist in there - and also we sneeze, etc...

I wouldn't worry.

debs71
09-12-14, 14:03
Thank you, robin321.:flowers:

Canbud
09-12-14, 18:28
Hi All,

I've posted this in the Health Anxiety bit, as although I'm not a HA sufferer, I am quite worried about what has just happened!

I was having some soup for lunch which went down the wrong way, so I suddenly choked/coughed and my nose started to run, so I grabbed a tissue. Upon taking the tissue away, I noticed blood on it. I checked where it had come from, and it was from my left nostril.

I have had very, very tiny bleeds from my nose before, but certainly not as much as this one, but what REALLY freaked me out was when I coughed again and there was some blood in my saliva/mucus.

Now I am trying to stay calm and figure that this is blood that has come from my nose and trickled down, but since I have never had anything like this before, I am freaking a bit. My anxiety/panic atacks has been a real issue this past month or so, but I have been managing pretty ok and getting on with things, but this has worried me a bit.

I have no upper gastric issues right now. No chesty issues.

Just looking for some words of wisdoms or thoughts please....Thanks in advance.x:wacko:

I'm a bleeder extraordinaire. I've had nosebleeds ever since I was little. Some kind of clotting problem.

Anyway, t's very very likely that the blood that you coughed out was from your
nose. In the old days, our parents were told to lay us down when we had a bleed, so you can imagine all the coughing up blood that went on.

debs71
09-12-14, 19:40
Thanks so much, Canbud. I really appreciate your reply.

Yep, I recall when I was in primary school in the 1970's, kids with nosebleeds being told to pinch their nose and tip their heads back....poor things. Things have all changed now, thank goodness - head forwards, not back! :)