PDA

View Full Version : Muscle aches

Juan Inch
10-12-14, 07:08
Hi all,

Been getting lots of back and side aches. Sometimes shooting pains but mainly dull aches. It feels like its in my muscles more than anywhere else.

Now's a good time to point out I have been INCREDIBLY, RIDICULOUSLY stressed and anxious over the past six weeks. My dad was diagnosed with cancer and its sent my anxiety / health anxiety into overdrive. I know my muscles have been very tense and hard since this news so Im guessing its all linked to anxiety (I dont believe its anything else in the slightest - blood tests, urine tests - all OK).

But I also wonder whether muscle aches, pains and spasms can be brought on by lack of excercise?

Up until about 5/6 weeks ago I was doing EXTENSIVE excercise everday for upto an hour. ALOT of muscle work. I havent done ANY since my daughter was born (yes, six weeks ago also) and now I have all sorts of back aches, side aches etc. I wonder whether suddenly stopping excercise can have an adverse effect on you muscles? Coupled with my anxiety (where its common to cause aches and pains to be exaggerated) do you think why this is causing me a bit of grief?

Im happy to report that Im slowly coming out of my little blip (everyday seems a little brighter in terms of where my minds at) but would like to get some of your opinions too.

frazm88
10-12-14, 10:22
Morning,

It sounds all down to anxiety to be honest mate, A massage or two should help ease the tension.

I seem to be getting the muscle pains of going to the gym and an anxiety at the same time just now so should really use my own advice and get a massage.

snowflake293
10-12-14, 12:57
Hi Juan Inch,

I would agree with frazm88 a massage will help. I have back problems but the pains I get are worse because of the anxiety, I physically tense up and it gets very painful - also it makes me worry about the pains being something sinister! I had a deep tissue massage last week and it really helped me, I would highly recommend!

I used to work out loads and felt great when I did. I go swimming a few times a week now and I love how I feel when I am in the water. I do miss doing all the classes and weights, felt so strong and healthy when I was exercising that much.

Also saunas and steam rooms can help a lot with muscle tension!

Hope you feel better soon.

Juan Inch
10-12-14, 13:33
Hey Framz / Snowflake,

Thanks for the replies.

Im certain its just tension. I had a massage a couple of weeks ago (although it wasn't deep tissue - which someone else has also recommended!). My massuer said I was super tense (especially across my shoulders/back) and my Osteopath said the same.

It seems to be everywhere though. Not just my back and neck but ribs too! Even my stomach muscles feel tense. I have been through the ringer just recently so its hardly surprising I feel super tense and stressed out.
Like I've said, I've had blood tests and urine tests done and all came back absoluetly fine (my doctor said that if it put my mind at ease about my back pain she'd send me for blood tests). Absoluetly certain its nothing sinister but like I said, having stopped all my extensive excercise suddenly and coupled with my anxiety It feels like I ache all over!

jul74
10-12-14, 23:19
I'm so relieved to read this I'm feeling exactly the same, there isn't a part of my body that doesn't ache, I'd convinced myself there was something wrong with me. I've been really stressed out too lately as my and have felt really down. The Dr has just prescribed me 30mg mirtazipine to try and help me so I'm hoping it will work as I'm at my wits end with it all.