PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack -and the following downfall-

BlackCoffeeCup
10-12-14, 13:23
Hi guys.
I'm a 20 years old dude that -probably- is suffering from Health anxiety
Been lurking on the forum for some days, and i feel like i need to write my experience so far in here, it might help me. I still don't know what's going on.
I've got the usual questions i think mos tof us had: "is this really anxiety?" "can anxiety make me feel so phisically bad?" "what if there is something wrong with my body?" and on and on. It's kinda ruining my life you know.

11/11/2014, University class. Had 3 coffees in less than 2 hours. Taking notes fast as f when suddenly i feel like a little pinch on my right arm. i get light headed. i try breathing exercises, i think it makes worse. The lightheadness slowly fades away, the worry remains, so does the arm pain.

Once i'm home i google around to see what went wrong with me. Heart attack. Another panic attack. Sharp pain in chest and left arm. And 20 or so minutes after that i'm in the E.R. -for the first time in this period-.

They say i'm fine, they give me some Bromazepam. The pain in the arm still lingers. I get home.

The days after were the worst: Insomnia, Aches, Worries, some E.R trips.
Went to the doc, got blood test, ekg's and echo. My heart is fine. Or so they say.
My worries shifted towards my belly [i think i always had a bit of stress related gerd] and my lungs. or perhaps my brain. Some days ago i felt super dizzy, like i was about to pass out, with blurred vision. Went to E.R. again. More ekg, more blood test, more physical examination by a doc. Looks like i'm pretty healthy.

Well everyone believes them, except me, and that sucks. I didn't go back to university yet. I feel head/cervical pains, chest discomfort/pain, arm pains, sometimes leg pains, twitches, sour taste in mouth.

I'm on meds for anxiety -since my doc since the first time said that it was anxiety-. They did something for the panic, not much for the worry.
I do try to distract myself sometimes, but it's hard, especially when you feel symptoms. I feel like i'm terribly ill, and they just need to find what the illness is.

It's such a bad thing.

Sorry if the post is a bit on the negative said. I really felt like writing down this

courierdude
10-12-14, 13:51
its natural to think that someone else-even a professional, doesnt fully understand the level of physical or mental sensation that you feel that is causing you pain and anxiety.

with regards to your doctors looking for an illness, well, they might be looking forever if they cant find what it is that youd expect them to. i had all these doubts when i started having panic attacks age 27. i basically read in a book that i was experiencing panic attacks and my doctor just agreed and put me on beta blockers without any physical checks. ...so it leaves you wondering of course.

there comes a point where you have to stop looking for trouble though. that sounds antagonistic right? " looking for trouble"-thats what i think this over monitoring thing is and it just provokes fear and panic.

id lay off the coffee or cut down and replace with something that doesnt dehydrate you and make you so jumpy!

go outside and do some star jumps! get your heart pumping a bit and then slow your exercise down to the point of just some basic movement that allows your heart to normalise to its usual beat.

obvious things to make sure that you are not doing anything to bring about any harm to yourself through sleep deprivation? bad eating habits? bad dietary issues? any stresss trauma in your environment etc..make sure you are ok on a logical survival level and eventually you can accept that your panics are not due to any underlying health issue.

BlackCoffeeCup
10-12-14, 14:34
its natural to think that someone else-even a professional, doesnt fully understand the level of physical or mental sensation that you feel that is causing you pain and anxiety.

with regards to your doctors looking for an illness, well, they might be looking forever if they cant find what it is that youd expect them to. i had all these doubts when i started having panic attacks age 27. i basically read in a book that i was experiencing panic attacks and my doctor just agreed and put me on beta blockers without any physical checks. ...so it leaves you wondering of course.

there comes a point where you have to stop looking for trouble though. that sounds antagonistic right? " looking for trouble"-thats what i think this over monitoring thing is and it just provokes fear and panic.

id lay off the coffee or cut down and replace with something that doesnt dehydrate you and make you so jumpy!

go outside and do some star jumps! get your heart pumping a bit and then slow your exercise down to the point of just some basic movement that allows your heart to normalise to its usual beat.

obvious things to make sure that you are not doing anything to bring about any harm to yourself through sleep deprivation? bad eating habits? bad dietary issues? any stresss trauma in your environment etc..make sure you are ok on a logical survival level and eventually you can accept that your panics are not due to any underlying health issue.

I cut down coffee and got back to green tea [Now decaf]. I'm starting to get sleep again and i'm eating every clean [Kinda like i always did, except for some fast food binges with friends or that kind of stuff].
Of course the fear still remains, it's a constant anxiety of something wrong. But slowly i feel like i can overcome this. Honestly, i still want my lungs and stomach to get checked. It might calm me a bit [or maybe it might have no real calming result -like i read a lot on the internet about hypochondriacs-

You are so right about the "looking for troubles" part, and i really do look for issues in my body, with constant hyper-attention towards symptoms and/or body changes.
Thanks a lot for your tips

courierdude
10-12-14, 15:54
staying in good health is the first check really isnt it? should go a long way to alleviate your fears.

nothing wrong with keeping doctors in work i suppose but dont drain yourself looking for problems where there are none : )

..easy for me to say-im not having a panic attack right now!

BlackCoffeeCup
14-12-14, 11:04
You are right, although i'm not having panic attacks at the moment, I still worry about a lot of conditions and -sadly- feel the need to get more test done. And i'll probably do so for a bit. My stomach tends to rumble a bit and i get occasional chest and back pains, My doc probably will be hating me, heh. But well, better safe than sorry