PDA

View Full Version : Just prescribed pregabalin

jennielouises
10-12-14, 14:46
I have just been prescribed pregabalin to go with my 20mg of citalopram. I just can't shake this anxiety and the doctors believe it is the cause of my acid reflux/ibs which I am currently off work with as my stomach is so painful I can't eat (which makes me feel more sick). I am emetophobic so any stomach problems just increases my anxiety and therefore makes the stomach problems worse.

I am trying not to look up the side effects of this pill as I know it will worry me. My doc wanted me to start on 25mg and slowly go up to 75mg twice a day but I said I would rather take a week off work and take the high dose straight away and deal with the side effects and get the drug in me quickly.

I have had anxiety since I was a kid and currently in the worse state I have ever been (with not eating etc). Does anyone have any good stories with this drug? I don't want to read too much on here as it will scare me if people say it made them vomit! I'm starting 75mg tonight and then in a couple of days I have to take 75mg twice a day. Scared! :scared15:

Also did anyone find it cleared up their tummy issues or at least meant they could deal with them better?

hanshan
10-12-14, 16:31
Hi Jennielouises,

There's plenty of good news stories. The last I saw, it was rating two out of three people saying it is very helpful. This is better than most antidepressants by far. However, there is also the chance that it may not be the drug for you - you can only take it and see.

If anxiety has been causing your stomach problems, then pregabalin may be helpful with those if it can help control the anxiety.

Good luck.

jennielouises
10-12-14, 16:38
Thank you. I hope so because the doctors have been telling me for years that the tummy issues are caused by anxiety so here's hoping it will stop it!

Dazza123
10-12-14, 16:47
I'm on it Jennie, and its not bad to be honest, ups and downs, but not bad ones. Good luck with it and post if you need help or advice with symptoms etc, plenty of help on here :)

jennielouises
10-12-14, 16:50
Thank you. I read some of your posts about starting it. Was it you who it gave heartburn to? Bit worried it will make mine worse as I'm basically being given it to help stop my tummy issues!

grapefruitmoon
10-12-14, 17:19
Its fine. Nothing to be scared of. Its been ranging from either massive improvement to slight improvement for me compared to my original symptoms, so far. The trick is to find your optimum, ideal dose.

SarahH
10-12-14, 17:33
Hi,

Look up on here some of the pregabalin stories.
Initial SE's can be feeling drunk (which I personally found amusing), dizziness, etc.
BUT it is a wonder drug as far as I am concerned and the best thing I have taken for anxiety by far.
I also take 20mgs of citalopram alongside 300mgs a day pregabalin. I started on 75mgs twice a day and went up to 400mgs a day in 2 weeks. Anxiety was zapped almost instantly. I dropped down to 300mgs when I added citalopram and it is a good combo for me.

Lots of support on here from us pregabalin users. Trust this drug1 The early Se's soon pass.

sarah

Dazza123
10-12-14, 22:40
Yes it was me but I already have Gastro reflux disease so it just made it worse for a little while, its cleared now, I think you'll be fine, but stomach problems are quite severe which is why it will have made it worse, I also think its rare to get stomach problems so dont worry about them, I really think you will be ok.

jennielouises
10-12-14, 22:45
Sadly I do worry about them as tummy issues cause my anxiety. I'm emetophobic. I might not take them. I'm just concerned about drugging myself up more when I've been stable on 20mg of citalopram and I think it's a blip. Thinking I might be better to up my omeprazole for my tummy for a while to calm the reflux to then calm my head. I've got the lyrica though in case I need them. They work wonders for my friend but my mum is so worried about me being spaced out like when I was on Prozac.

A Nervous Nigel
10-12-14, 23:13
I been back on pregabalin for 3 weeks I think.. Its my second time.. I should never have stopped them! I have a thread on this forum somewhere of my little journey starting them! They help certain parts of my anxiety and although its not a total cure, sorry for my language but I'm wayy ****ing better on it than off it.. I didn't notice how much it helped until I stopped!

Oh and side effects wise.. No where near as bad as anti depressants.. Good luck and get well!

Nervous Nigel

SmilingAlbert
10-12-14, 23:21
Hi Jennie,

welcome to the club :)

I think I can help

I felt sick (nausea) with work-related worries for several months, had no appetite and lost tons of weight. After many checks the docs concluded it was all stress and anxiety.

Found a great doctor who prescribed this, and I felt better almost immediately. I have had the odd blip, but generally am now much better.

I got my appetite back, and my life generally.

I would strongly recommend this medicine for stress/anxiety stomach issues, which are often the route cause of IBS etc.

I am on 225mg per day, 150 at night, 75 in the am

I obviously don't know your full story, but from you've said I think I can say that it should help

(I worried that it might have nausea as a SE and I can say that it doesnt!)

So go for it, and let us know how you get on.

best wishes,

Albert

jennielouises
17-12-14, 11:56
Ok I'm going for it but absolutely terrified! Taking my first 75mg now. Omg what if I feel sick or my GORD gets worse :-(

SmilingAlbert
17-12-14, 13:19
OK - good luck!

If you think something will happen (e.g. you feel sick, GORD gets worse) then that is what generally will happen. That is they way our mind-body thing rolls, unfortunately.

I strongly request you try to feel positive about what will happen! As I say, it should help from what you've said, and quickly too with any luck. Let us know how you get on.

Albert

jennielouises
17-12-14, 13:34
I took it an hour ago. I feel a bit weird and just a bit spaced out. I do feel sick still and have a knot on my stomach. Was kind of hoping it would stop that quickly. How quickly did you tummy issues get better? My stomach is churning all the time which makes me panic. I feel a little less panicky but the anxiety is still there because the knot in my stomach is

SarahH
17-12-14, 13:42
Can I suggest you take your next dose WITH food. I found in the early days it lessened my SE's.

Sarah

jennielouises
17-12-14, 13:53
I took it about 10 minutes after my breakfast. Not sure the nausea is a side effect as was already feeling that and prescribed this to help with the nausea

SarahH
17-12-14, 14:52
Not a SE for me. In fact after the initial "terror" of taking my first tablet, 2 hrs later I felt an amazing sense of calm. I felt drunk as well and was slurring my words and wanted to sleep. That lasted a few hours then lessened. Then on the 2nd day I felt a feeling of euphoria and could not stop talking. After a few days on 75x2 a day the dose was upped and the SE's start again. In 2 weeks I was up to 400 day split into 3 doses. Gradually the SE's wear off. Now I have no SE's. Been on it since march 2013. Ride with SE's and enjoy the anxiety free life. I think if the Dr says your stomach issues are anxiety related then you will get relief from this drug.

Sarah

I am now balanced with my meds and have not taken Lorazepam for months. It is there for emergencies though.

jennielouises
17-12-14, 16:32
Well it's been 2.5 since I took 75mg and feeling dizzy but calmer (I wouldn't say calm as being dizzy makes me nervous). My eyes feel weird. I'm to take just one 75mg a day for a few days then up it to 75m twice a day. I have morning anxiety most. When is it best to take it? I also don't want to be too dizzy at work as I am scared it will lead to vomiting!

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

How long will the dizziness last? As in after each pill? Will it wear off in a few hours? I took it 4 hours ago. Trying to work out when to take it tomorrow as got to get back to work. Do feel marginally calmer but feel I will need the calming effect of this at work but don't want to be too dizzy

SarahH
17-12-14, 16:57
Err ...to be honest I would suggest you don't go back until you settle a bit on this med. Now that can vary from person to person.

Sarah

jennielouises
17-12-14, 17:01
I've got to go back. Doctors orders! I have no choice either as not going to get paid for anymore (had 4 weeks off). Worried now. Feel so heavy. When will it wear off?

SarahH
17-12-14, 17:30
Well you will feel it wear off because you will feel the anxiety coming back. I am really REALLY surprised your Dr has told you to go back to work!!!! The SE's at the beginning of this med are well known.

Sarah

jennielouises
17-12-14, 18:41
She wants me to get back to normality. Just fell asleep for an hour. Feel the anxiety creeping back in. I'm only doing half days so maybe I should take it after work in the afternoon?

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

Maybe I should have started on a lower dose. Say 25mg rather than 75mg. Would I get less side effects then?

almamatters
17-12-14, 19:13
Hi I came off Pregabalin earlier this year but spent 18 months on it, I started of on 75mg and gradually worked up to 400mg which was then my daily dose. I think everyone experiences of this medication are different , I suffered with dizziness and brain fog for a few days of starting. Worst thing for me was weight gain but it did increase my appetite so I should have just controlled my eating better. I did have a few days off work to get used to this medication as like Sarah mentioned it takes a bit of time to get used to the side effects.

jennielouises
17-12-14, 19:21
How long did you have off work and how long did it take to get used to the side effects?

almamatters
17-12-14, 19:33
I took 4 days off if I remember rightly and I would say after about a week, I began to tolerate the medication.

Avasmummy_x
17-12-14, 19:40
Jennie! Don't worry about the dizzy feeling. This is the most common side effect I tbink nearly all of us on here have had it. I described it as feeling drunk to and my eyes almost not in sync and had some depersonalization with it too.

I started about 4weeks ago now and have currently got the side effects but only as I have upped from 300mg to 400mg a day. I find everytime I up my dose the se comes back but goes quicker each time.

If I remember rightly I had it a week at first. Then had it on and off for a few more days then it went. Don't worry it will go. I can't tolerate any anti ds as they send me loopy with crazy anxiety and insomnia ( didn't sleepnfor 48hours on one ). Because of this I find this med amazing in the se sense. They are very minimumal and do go very quickly unlike other tablets x

almamatters
17-12-14, 19:43
I must say out of all the meds I have tried, pregabalin was the one I found the most helpful, it made me feel less anxious but without knocking me out like diazapam did.

SmilingAlbert
17-12-14, 20:12
Hi Jennie,

Just take one day at a time - I felt the nausea going within around 24 hrs. If on 75mg, I would take in the AM after brekkie. I was on 2x75mg at first, morning and evening.

It's good that you are feeling calmer - this is exactly what Pregabalin is supposed to do. You should find that when you feel calmer, your mind will tell your stomach to settle down too, though there might be a delay until it gets the message. It could be that you really need 2x75mg a day, which was my starting dose (I am on 225mg now).

Good luck, and tell us if you need more help and support.

Albert

jennielouises
18-12-14, 10:28
I haven't taken it today as it had a terrible effect yesterday. I was so drunk I went to look if there was any chicken in the bed!! (My husband asked what I wanted for dinner but I was so tired). But then today I'm all jittery and nervous and can't calm down. I would love to be able to do this myself but I felt so much calmer yesterday. I considered going on a lower dose but won't that just prolong the se's as will get them each time I up it? Not sure if should just up my citalopram to be honest as I know I can tolerate that. But then I felt so calm. I just can't miss anymore work

SarahH
18-12-14, 14:17
So Jennie, what you are saying is without Pregabalin you are anxious and with it you feel calmer but don't like the SE's?
The thing is either you take some more time off and let this drug settle in your system OR you don't take the drug and will be too unwell to work!
I really think you need to think about which way you want to go on from this point, The pregabalin WILL have SE's byte they WILL settle given some time. How long that takes differs from person to person.
Maybe have a chat with you GP over the phone about your next step. There is no point in dropping the dose.

sarah

jennielouises
18-12-14, 14:25
My gp is calling me on Xmas eve for a catch up so will discuss it then. I managed to stay at work this morning but was anxious. Especially with people talking about their kids throwing up and another about him throwing up at the weekend. (Got to remember to eat!). I have two weeks off at Xmas so maybe that's wnough time to get used to it? I know they helped but it scared me how much they changed me!

netball
18-12-14, 19:03
hi all I'm a newbie on here.
been on pregabalin for approximately three weeks now. Its really helped me after suffering with severe anxiety for fourteen years!! And i would recommend anyone to try it. The only side effect I've had is the drunk feeling. It's also stopped me feeling sick all the time. Hope this helps you. As for work... Your just a number in their eyes, your health is more important. Anxiety is an illness and needs more recognition if I'm honest.

jennielouises
18-12-14, 19:13
It's my family and the doctors who want me back at work, not work! How long till your side effects went?

netball
18-12-14, 20:55
i only had them for three days. But they weren't bad

hanshan
19-12-14, 10:26
Hi netball,

And welcome to NMP. You are lucky that pregabalin has worked well and quickly - as you will read, it's not so fast or sure for everyone.

Are you using or seeking to reduce use of an SSRI or benzodiazepine? I'm wondering if prior or current use of those (and trying to reduce use at the same time as starting pregabalin) is a factor.

netball
19-12-14, 10:38
Hi hanshan
I've been on anti depressants for 15 years(different ones) currently on 200mg sertraline. and also take 80mg of propranolol. and I started on pregagablin 50mg 3 times a day. then slowly increased them to 100mg 3 times a day. At the moment I don't intend on reducing any. Feel less anxious in my house now. and in the new year I plan to use my cbt info and gradually go out.

hanshan
19-12-14, 10:56
Hi netball,

It sounds good to me, and I am so happy that it is working for you.

netball
19-12-14, 18:27
:)