PDA

View Full Version : G.P Has Stopped Meds!!

Petesy
10-12-14, 19:56
Hi Everyone

My g.p has prescribed me diazepam 2mg for 5 months now and decides to just stop them! Then boom full scale
Withdrawal I immediately went back to the surgery explaining to the receptionist that I need to see a doctor my hands and whole body was shaking and she told me sorry you can't get an emergency appointment for medication, i was in a right state and had to make an appointment which is tomorrow I thought this was outrageous!! even ppl in the waiting room were asking if I was alright and it was as if she couldn't care less, well I'm going to a different g.p and i think I should make a complaint about this..

I'm all over the place and this was taking them as needed!! 5 months then stop, is it just me or is this out of the ordinary?

I can't believe I'm going through this, i'm obviously addicted to them :scared15:

Petesy.

Sam100322
10-12-14, 20:04
Every drug has withdrawal effects just wait them out an see if they go. Gotta give it a chance

Petesy
10-12-14, 20:11
Thanks for your reply sam

It's the horror stories though sam, and cold turkey from diazepam is a big No No is it not?

Maybe i could wait it out but I guess I'll find out if it's dangerous or not tomorrow when I've seen the g.p.

I'm isolating myself from others atm because of the state i'm in :weep:

Canbud
10-12-14, 21:32
Hi Everyone

My g.p has prescribed me diazepam 2mg for 5 months now and decides to just stop them! Then boom full scale
Withdrawal I immediately went back to the surgery explaining to the receptionist that I need to see a doctor my hands and whole body was shaking and she told me sorry you can't get an emergency appointment for medication, i was in a right state and had to make an appointment which is tomorrow I thought this was outrageous!! even ppl in the waiting room were asking if I was alright and it was as if she couldn't care less, well I'm going to a different g.p and i think I should make a complaint about this..

I'm all over the place and this was taking them as needed!! 5 months then stop, is it just me or is this out of the ordinary?

I can't believe I'm going through this, i'm obviously addicted to them :scared15:

Petesy.
Speaking from experience here. Benzos should NEVER been stopped abruptly if you've been taking them regularly. You need to slowly lower the dose. You can tell your doc my psychiatrist said so.

MyNameIsTerry
11-12-14, 04:36
Can I put a different slant on this for you Petesy?

I once had my asthma medication stopped like this and it turned out to be an error on the admin side. Repeat prescriptions at my surgery are dealt with by the receptionists and I have also witnessed them doing this to people when I've been waiting in there. With my asthma medication they said I had to attend an asthma clinic to reestablish it but they soon backed down when I stated they had been giving them to me for over 20 years and who has said I have been suddenly cured without even seeing me?

If you get into a situation like this, the receptionist has the ability to pop into the GP's room between patients and ask them to check. When I have had to do this or seen others complain in reception, it has been resolved this way by the GP issuing a prescription on the spot.

So, perhaps this is a clerical error? And perhaps the receptionist should have referred to the GP to make a decision as he/she is not qualified to make that decision? It sounds like you had a jobsworth who had either no compassion or was ignorant of the situation or took advantage of your condition to bluff you out of the surgery.

A complaint would be a good idea as this should not have happened. If someone collapses in the reception, would they not bother calling a GP out and just sit waiting for an ambulance?

Withdrawal has to be tapered on all of these medications and Benzodiazapenes require a specific tailored approach because their withdrawal effects are worse than the modern forms. If this was an error, the complaint should be about the mishandling by the receptionist which was worse. If it was a decision to stop medication, then its more serious and perhaps needs a complaint to the local trust about pour standards of care?

SADnomore
11-12-14, 07:57
Hi, all, hope you don't mind me chipping in, but I have to agree that alone and sudden and complete withdrawal from benzodiazepines (aka cold turkey) is just too dangerous. It can be done cold turkey, but only in the safe confines of a hospital ward or detoxification centre. There, one's vital signs are monitored by staff, and counselors are available 24/7 and if it is felt a person needs medical attention for symptoms, then there are doctors close to hand. Safe, professional, caring places in which to be successfully taken off the drugs. Lots of good food, all sorts of little programs for dealing with stress. Etc, .... I applaud everyone that takes that courageous approach! I'm here to tell you that can work! Slow incremental decreases may sound better, but not if the addicted person is left on their own to make them :(

Magic
11-12-14, 12:51
I agree with what has been said already . I cannot believe why GPs stop medication without tapering off the diazepam.