PDA

View Full Version : Moles are fading...why?

CleverLittleViper
10-12-14, 21:23
I'm absolutely petrified.

I have this one mole on my leg that has always been rather small, around 2mm, I'd say, and medium brown. It was never troublesome, or changed in the time I'd had it.

However, now, it seems to be getting smaller and fading quite rapidly. I can't tell if there's a white ring around it (I think there may be, but not sure) or anything like that.

The change appears to be rapid. Every time I look at it, I think it looks different. Like it's fading into the surrounding skin. I'm scared it is MM that is regressing. I'm scared because everything I read says they should fade over years and months, not weeks (if that).

I'm this close to putting on an emergency appointment tomorrow to get it checked out.

Has anyone else had moles that faded? Did it happen quickly or slowly? Is this normal?

venusbluejeans
10-12-14, 21:29
I have lots of moles that have faded, mostly due to being out in the sun or in other weathers.

If you are worried then go visit the doctor but I don't think you need an emergency appointment. Just book a regular one.

CleverLittleViper
10-12-14, 23:53
Thanks.

Did yours have a halo around them? I think mine might. I've noticed a couple on my arm that appear to have a halo around them, and they appear to be fading, too. It's hard to tell in this light. :blush:

I am going to book an appointment soon. I'd rather be safe than sorry, but the fact that multiple moles appear to be fading/have a halo around them (maybe) is a good sign that it's nothing sinister.

I'm just scared because the changes appear to be quite rapid. Then again, maybe the halo has been around a while, and I've just never noticed it. I've read halo nevi can possibly be caused by stress/anxiety.

I want to get an appointment this week so I don't have to sit on it for a weekend and worry. I've been having panic attacks over this. :blush:

Serenity1990
11-12-14, 04:13
Are you in your 20's?

CleverLittleViper
11-12-14, 06:21
Yes, I'm 27.

CleverLittleViper
11-12-14, 19:08
I went to the doctor today, and I'm not really reassured at all. I felt like I was being brushed off like I'm a nuisance. Which, incidentally, I am.

As soon as I mentioned what I was there for, she asked, "Are you sure it has changed or are you just hyper-aware of it now?" Trust me, I'm pretty OCD about my health and I keep good track of changes in things, so I know it has changed. I can remember what it used to look like clearly in my mind.

Anyway, she takes a quick look at it without using a light magnifier thing, and says it does not look suspicious at all. Which is all well and good and all, but no acknowledgment of the fact that I'm telling her it has changed. She told me that moles that get lighter or fade are not of concern to them, only moles that get darker and bigger are really concerning.

I've also noticed a few moles are fading now. A few on my arms, two on my legs, one just above my lip under my nose, which is all well and good. I could do with a few less. I'm still petrified its MM. Can MM show up in multiple moles at the same time? I didn't think it could. None of the moles look especially suspicious or nasty or fit the ABCD guidelines. They're all small, uniformly coloured, look fairly symmetrical and borders are regular.

The more I look at them, the more I think I see a paler patch of skin around them. Not bright white, but since I'm white anyway (not especially pale, but currently, not that tan either) it might be hard to see, especially on my thighs which are always lighter than anywhere else on my body. :blush:

I keep thinking its highly unlikely to be MM anyway, given the presentation and the fact that it appears to be happening to a few moles at the same time, but I'm still concerned over what the hell is happening here. Is it normal? I know halo nevi are benign, and are thought to be an immune response to goodness knows what (it's probably just a weird body thing) that sends a message to destroy the melanocytes/moles. I also know it can and does affect multiple moles.

I just wasn't aware HN could work so "quick." It might not have. I might have had the halo for a while, and just never cared to notice it. Someone said HN may be triggered by stress (similar to how one of vitiligos main causes is thought to be emotional stress/anxiety) which would make sense as to why it has happened now.

Has anyone heard of this happening? I also have a mole on the back of my hand that is turning into a nice golden brown colour. Very pretty. Also appears to be surrounded by a halo. Is this normal?

Fishmanpa
11-12-14, 19:18
You've been given an all clear....

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=161928

Positive thoughts

Hypo
11-12-14, 19:21
I am no GP, but I would assume that a fading mole is a good thing, if anything.

I would be over the moon if mine started to fade.

I bet your skin is just paler now it is winter and the changes to the skin tone is making them look that way.

Be reassured by the GP. I know how it feels to feel like you have been brushed aside and I have terrible MM fears right now, but you would have been sent to a derm if there was anything to worry about.

Worry if they get darker, but lighter? not a concern in anything I have ever read.

Serenity1990
11-12-14, 19:31
Yes, I'm 27.

Apparently this sort of thing with moles is really common your late teens or twenties. Nobody really understands why, but it's never anything to worry about. If they're growing then you might want to get them checked (they'd still probably be fine), but shrinking is all good news if anything IMO!