PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly worried about something that didn't worry you much before

robin321
11-12-14, 17:40
I have been having a bad few weeks. I had one worry, that ended up being literally nothing. That was my first 'obsession' in close to a year.

But since then, my mind has been grasping on things. My wife went to the Dr in June and again in October for her thyroid + iron. Her iron was low both times. I attributed this to poor compliance + heave periods. Anyway - my point right now is that from October until last week I didn't think about it too much. Sure, it was in the back of my mind. But it wasn't something I obsessed over. I would say it was healthy concern.

Then she mentioned that the Dr said if the iron didn't come back up, it could be an issue. Her saying that to me was a trigger. The trigger led to Googling. That led to stress and it has since became an obsession. All week I have been focusing on it, researching it and thinking about it. Yet - for 2 months, I was fine.

My other worry is this little skin cyst type thing on my upper chest. It is like a pimple - but not red. Smallish (1/2cm). Round. Same skin color.

I noticed it 6 weeks ago. I see the dermo for a routine apt next week. For 5 weeks it didn't bother me. Suddenly it caught my eye while shaving. I started looking at it from different angles. And I have done hours of research. These are hrs that I should be doing productive things. And the weird one about this is that all signs point to it being something harmless. It has none of the ABCDE flags, and at worst could be basel cell carcinoma which is very cureable. And even then, it looks much more like a cyst or something like that. But of course I want certainty, so I am trying to find an exact match on the net. The only thing that helps this obsession, is when I decide to obsess about my wife's iron instead.

But they key point for both these things was that they were not new things. I didn't just notice them. I accepted them and lived with them for weeks or months. But suddenly they have consumed me.

It is discouraging. I thought I had Health Anxiety tamed. I will take this as a relapse - and hopefully move on. I have appt's for both these issues next week. Hopefully there will be good resolution. But I just keep feeling dread.

Now excuse me, I have to look at my mole/cyst or whatever for the millions time. Maybe it changed from 5min ago

saab
11-12-14, 18:42
At least you seem to have an insight into your HA in that you seem to know your fears are crazy.

When my HA was really bad, my mind would be always searching for something to focus on and worry about. My anxiety is my heart because I suffer very badly from palpitations. But if they weren't bad, I would find something else. I spent a weekend in the Lake District worrying about a red lump on my leg being a thrombosis. Turns out it was a bug bite.

You get good at what you practise. We have practised worrying so much that our minds look for things to worry about.