PDA

View Full Version : HA Flare Up

pantheraonca
12-12-14, 02:06
Hi all, new to the forum.

I've always been a pretty anxious guy and have had bouts of health anxiety over the years, but managed to get it relatively under control over the last couple of years. It seems it's just started to rear it's ugly head again though.

Over the last 3 or 4 weeks I've been feeling noticeably off balance and been having dizzy spells - something I've never experienced before and find a little confronting when it happens. This was enough to spark some concern and in the past week I've had a constant headache that I can't seem to shake (also very unusual for me - I never get headaches). Realistically, deep down I realize that far and away the most logical and most likely explanation is tension headaches as a result of my worrying about the off balance / dizzy sensations (which most likely have an equally logical and harmless origin), but it's hard to silence that loud voice that keeps on telling me it's a brain tumour.

I've been to my doctor and he doesn't seem concerned (I didn't mention my fear that it's something serious) - he just ran bloods that all came back normal and said to make another appointment in 2 weeks if things don't subside.

Sometimes I'll have these moments of clarity where it seems obvious that there is actually nothing to fear, and my intuition knows that all this worry is for nothing - but these moments are always short lived. I just found out that I'm going to be a dad for the first time and I'm pretty sure subconsciously that was the trigger that started my relapse - life seems to be going far too well for me, so my brain needs to throw something in there to keep things from getting too perfect - it feels like some kind of protection mechanism, but does more harm than good.

I'm not after reassurance, I think I just needed to get it out because I always keep my anxiety to myself and it helps to see how ridiculous it actually looks when written down.

Just have to say also, from my readings on this site it really seems like a caring and supportive community which is really great to see.

courierdude
12-12-14, 02:33
you hit the nail on the head!

becoming a parent can be seriously worrying and its obviously affected your more fragile sensibilities.

what you have written doesnt look ridiculous at all-ive done all kinds of ridiculous things in the middle of a 'death throe' and would probably do exactly the same if i were hit by a massive debilitating, nonsensical attack at anytime!

it can be stressful trying to process a new situation that has been put upon you, especially one that will require you to make major changes in your life and so the headaches might just be some level of mental exhaustion and i think the issue is to not fear having the responsibility of becoming a parent. your brain through mental activity burns more calories than physical exercise, as an example of the the demands it can make upon you during a particularly active time.

you might experience many worries before the birth and you will definitely learn to live with a consistent amount afterwards, but the pleasure and amazement of having a child will soon take over and your reaction to panic will become the responsive survival mechanism that it is intended to be and not there just to torture you.

your child might be the one that saves the planet so let that sink in and fill yourself with positive imaginings of your future as a parent : )

pantheraonca
12-12-14, 10:20
Thanks for the response and for the kind words courierdude.