PDA

View Full Version : Stomach ulcer?

jennielouises
12-12-14, 12:51
I've got this constant pressure in my chest/stomach that feels like air. It makes me feel like there is a stone or something in there and I can feel it moving when I move (especially over bumps in the car etc). I'm so convinced I will be sick. I also have pain under my ribs which alternates between the left side and right side. I burp and feel better for a minute. Same if I fart (sorry tmi) and I seem to burp a lot. It makes my stomach constantly churn and then I don't eat. When I eventually do eat the pressure and burping get worse.

I was told I had ibs and acid reflux. I take medication for acid reflux but it doesn't help. Antacids make me burp more and the pressure more and only stop the occasional burning that I get. I can feel stuff moving around in there.

Drinking anything, even water, makes it worse. Especially if my stomach is empty. I can't drink on an empty stomach and can't 'fill up on water' as it produces more burping and makes me get a hunger feeling in my stomach. It is always worse if I'm hungry or skip a meal. But I have to force myself to eat.

Gas x doesn't help either.

What's wrong with me and how do I stop it. How do I stop it. It's making me afraid to out. Do I have gas, ibs, acid reflux or a stomach ulcer?

Mr Brownstone
12-12-14, 19:42
I cant really add much unfortunately but I hate seeing no one reply to threads! From my little understanding, it does sound like acid reflux, compounded by a bit of anxiety, meaning that you are analysing everything thats happening to you, and everything you feel. Many of us will have experienced the same anxieties.

The one period of my life I had heartburn (Its the same thing isnt it?), I just gave up fried foods, and I dont think Ive had it since. It also coincided with me deciding to lose weight, so no idea if that had an effect as well.

jennielouises
12-12-14, 19:49
Thank you for replying :D

I guess I kind of knew it was acid reflux. But acid reflux scares me too. It might turn into something worse if I don't stop it and nothing I do does. It doesn't matter what I eat (although can't eat anything too greasy or spicy). I take medication for it and it doesn't help. So basically I just have to live with this feeling for the rest of my life?

Yes it is definitely worse when I wm thinking and worrying about it!

Mr Brownstone
12-12-14, 19:54
I'm assuming you've googled what kind of foods you should or shouldnt eat? It may be that different things work for different people. Maybe keep a diary of what you eat to see when its at its worst and see if you can cut anything out.

Jubnut
12-12-14, 19:59
I have had this for ages and never been able to figure out what it really is. The weird pressure in stomach just under the ribs. Had endoscopy etc and found nothing. I get this more if I sit long periods of time slouched.

Anyway stretching usually helps a bit but the best medicine I have found is eating an apple. This is more effective than taking anti acid pills. Try it, you will be surprised :) there is science behind it but I can't find the link.

jennielouises
12-12-14, 20:02
Yeah I have. But even plain boiled rice and plain chicken do it to me!

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

I have had this for ages and never been able to figure out what it really is. The weird pressure in stomach just under the ribs. Had endoscopy etc and found nothing. I get this more if I sit long periods of time slouched.

Anyway stretching usually helps a bit but the best medicine I have found is eating an apple. This is more effective than taking anti acid pills. Try it, you will be surprised :) there is science behind it but I can't find the link.

What type of Apple? I find Granny Smiths make mine worse. Isn't it something to do with too little acid instead of to much?

Jubnut
12-12-14, 20:10
Usually I eat golden delicious apples. Granny Smith could be too acid. The endoscopy I had was performed by some top dog Lady in the field and she was the one that mentioned this the first time. She also said that paprika and grapes are the one to limit.

Do you get this in intervals? Usually mine goes away for months and then come back and stays for a month or two.

steph25
12-12-14, 21:16
I have had a stomach ulcer and I had it for years. I'd have incredibly bad stomach aches (to the point I couldn't move and was rushed to hospital) for two weeks and then it would go for around six weeks and then come back again and this happened from when I was about 8 until I was 16, when I was finally diagnosed.

If it doesn't go away and you really are worrying, then go back to your doctor and explain your worries.

jennielouises
12-12-14, 21:20
See my stomach ache is never that bad so doubt it's an ulcer then. Are yours healed now?

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

Do you get this in intervals? Usually mine goes away for months and then come back and stays for a month or two.

It seems to always be there to some degree but comes on in full force when I am very stressed or anxious.

majdle
12-12-14, 21:51
Hm, maybe not a stomach ulcer, but more of a reflux? At least thatīs what it sounds like to me. My Mom had stomach ulcers, but she was in terrible pain. Then she stopped eating certain things and tried to be stress-free. She is feeling perfectly well now. :)

jennielouises
12-12-14, 22:26
Yeah I'm thinking it is just reflux now. Have calmed down! But don't understand why ppis don't work :-(

popejoan
13-12-14, 01:34
Sounds like anxiety to me. I had en endoscopy recently and it showed nothing. Anxiety and stress can affect our bodies more than we could imagine. I wouldn't recommend using otc antiacids before talking to a gp as you might have low stomach acid. Its symptoms are very similar to excessive acid in stomach like acid reflux, gas and bloating. You might be suppressing the little acid you have in your stomach. I very much doubt you have stomach ulcer. Hope this helps x

jennielouises
13-12-14, 19:21
Sounds like anxiety to me. I had en endoscopy recently and it showed nothing. Anxiety and stress can affect our bodies more than we could imagine. I wouldn't recommend using otc antiacids before talking to a gp as you might have low stomach acid. Its symptoms are very similar to excessive acid in stomach like acid reflux, gas and bloating. You might be suppressing the little acid you have in your stomach. I very much doubt you have stomach ulcer. Hope this helps x

Yes it does thank you. But actually the thought of having acid reflux that I can't do anything about is making me worry as well. The doctors are telling me it is all caused by anxiety and that is why the PPI's don't work. I am desperate to stop this feeling so I can get back to normal.