PDA

View Full Version : Left leg uncontrollably shakes when in a squatting position

Sluggy
12-12-14, 16:41
Hi, I posted a couple of weeks back about my health anxiety flaring up and me thinking I had ALS or MS, I've managed to convince myself that I don't have ALS or MS, but a recent muscle twitch has really flared up and got me worried again.

If I go into a squatting position my left leg will shake uncontrollably, this is the only time it does this aside from operating the clutch while driving but I hear the latter is totally normal.

Dr Google unfortunately made a return and I started googling again and made me worried if its muscle atrophy. Now I've noticed that when typing my hands get tired faster and am no longer able to type as fast, finally I've noticed that my arms get noticeably more tired with my left arm being far worse than my right.

Wondering if these are again associated with anxiety, or something more serious such as muscle atrophy, and of course MS or ALS.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Catherine S
12-12-14, 17:19
Hi Sluggy, just as its perfectly normal for your leg to shake when operating the clutch pedal, its also normal for it to do the same when you squat, as it probably stimulates the same nerve. Nerves and muscles react to such stimulation, some more than others and twitching and shaking can come and go quite randomly. I think with your MS fear, you place too much importance on your muscle and nerve activity and as far as your shaking and tiredness being mostly on the left side, that's quite normal if you are right-handed because the right side will be more dominant and therefore the muscles and nerves will be much stronger than on the left. Please try not to worry, if you had anything serious that comes under the neurological umbrella you would certainly know about it.

ISB x

Sluggy
12-12-14, 17:54
Thanks for the reply, really put my mind at ease with that response. I'm a relatively unfit person who lacks a lot of strength physically which could also explain muscle twitching. I guess the tiredness is something I'm noticing more with anxiety.

Tiredness seems to be there a lot when holding something etc, but it comes and goes day by day which I've now realised isn't a sympton of ALS. If my left arm was tired one day, it'd be permanently tired and worse the next.

Thanks again for the reply, put my mind at ease again.