PDA

View Full Version : Hangover anxiety

nxus83
13-12-14, 13:14
It's that time of year so I imagine a few of this type of thread have popped up recently.

I wouldn't class myself as suffering particularly from anxiety (borderline maybe, but nothing that really interferes with things day to day), but a heavy session never fails to cripple me with anxiety for a good 2 or 3 days. Now I know I'm not alone in that, and i know the answer is don't drink and the problem goes away - but we aren't always as smart as we should be!

I guess there are a couple of reasons for my post besides the hope it just helps as a coping strategy to be in conversation about it. Is there anything I can do to help me cope, 'cause I'm not at the moment and "riding it out" isn't fun? Do you think it's possible not to suffer day to day and have this sort of reaction, or is there likely a mild underlaying issue that just gets magnified?

SarahH
13-12-14, 15:26
Nah, no underlying issue. Very common in many people. My suggestion just drink a little less, stay off redbull or coke or spirits.

Sarah

Catherine S
13-12-14, 16:45
As Sarah said, it doesn't sound like you have any underlying health issues, you just got drunk and now your body is reacting to that. And yes we get loads of threads about hangovers causing anxiety, and one or two people join the forum just to ask this question, then disappear again when they're sober and feeling better. I'm sure you'll be feeling better again soon.

ISB x

SarahH
13-12-14, 16:54
:D

nxus83
13-12-14, 17:30
Thanks, I'm sure you're both right, I don't think there is anything to be immediately worried about.

This isn't new for me (which begs the question, why haven't I learnt?), so I do appreciate it subsides, it just seems a little odd that those around me don't seem to suffer it, at least the vast majority don't any way. If they do, they either seem to deal with it better or don't get it to the same degree. I don't really suffer any other hangover symptoms either on most occasions which is why I wonder if it's got anything to do with general ways of thinking day to day.

I think my point is, if you're naturally more anxious, lower self esteem, etc, then you get drunk, you're more likely to suffer the mental anguish the day after?

One thing it does do is give you an appreciation for those that do have anxiety though, if I'm going to take a positive from it.

nxus83
15-12-14, 08:38
Still suffering on day three. That's excessive right?

Pineapplepie
15-12-14, 11:40
Hi there....I too suffer from this and yes for me it can last up to three days also. After drinking my outlook on life is always negative and I feel anxious and manic over most things.
My hubby and I shared a bottle of champagne yesterday to celebrate our anniversary but gloomy Monday as left me excessively worried over money, work, Christmas and food ( I also have an eating disorder )
My family are very much sociable and meetings more often than not include a few bevies. I do most of the driving so I have an excuse but sometimes I just fancy a beer. Because I like the taste not to get drunk. But the guilt and anxiety the next day makes me say to myself I'm never drinking again! Hah but always do.
What is it that you get anxious about after drinking? Is it what you may have said/done if a bit drunk? Is it alcohols effects on the body? Is it drunken decisions?