PDA

View Full Version : pet anxiety

worried 101
14-12-14, 10:06
Hi everyone.
I haven't been on here in a while but felt if anyone would get this it would be like kinded people like you guys and could maybe gain some advicce from others who had been ina similar situation.
My partner and I have been talking about getting a pet. We initially wanted a dog as I have grown up with them and always loved them. However as we both work atm we wouldnt be able to give the time needed to a dog so we have talked on and off about a cat.
Now I coudlnt say I am huge on cats, much more of a dog person but since being around friends with cats I have warmed to them.
Also my partner and I did adopt a cat a few years ago but it did t go well. Was extremely dominant and rather agressive and my anxiety went through the roof! It only lasted 3 days as we couldnt let it be around my partners children.
I feel I have conquered quite a few anxieties recently, moving house and going on holiday(and actually enjoying it! ) and I would like to be able to do this, but the anxious part of me is thinking what if this puts me over the edge?!
My partner really likes cats and so do his two children and I think I would love it to if I let myself not be so amxious and scared!
plus the sight of a mouse in the house yesterday has spurred me on as well rather alot!!!
just wondering if anyone has any similar issues or did and how they overcame it?
would be greatly appreciated :)
thanks.

wabbit1
14-12-14, 11:09
Hi,

I'm the same as you, more of a dog person but can't devote the time so 4 months ago I got a kitten. I was really stressed about having to look after it. I was scared of the responsibility, etc so I had put it off for years.

However I'm really glad I got him. He's a wee softy with a great personality. He was already litter trained when I got him so I didn't have to worry about that.

Are you thinking of getting a kitten or an adult?

Also, it sounds like you have made huge strides so well done you.

worried 101
14-12-14, 14:45
Hi there. Thankyou for your reply :)
It will be a kitten so v that will be quiet nice to watch it grow etc.
im exactly the same, responsibilty does scare me alot and why I've been put off floor as long time too.
Thankyou that's really kind. Has been quite a positive year which I never thought I'd be saying at the start of it! I hope everything is going well for you.
take care xx

H.Daniel
14-12-14, 17:01
Give it a try, see how it goes. Let your partner see you really try but if it doesn't work out, well at least you tried. You might enjoy having a cat, you never know until you do it right!?

worried 101
15-12-14, 07:07
Yeah I think thats the best thing to do.thanks for that. I have woken up quite anxious. I think it's change, I really struggle with anything new or different so this will be a test for me. I really hope I can do this as well be another big step for me,but my stomach is doing flips and do feel quite worried. Hoping it will just pass as I get used to it.

Ange1
16-12-14, 08:44
Animals can be so therapeutic but as someone who helps with rescue and sees the lovely unwanted and discarded animals I have to say it's not something you should just try like a new pill and if it you don't like get rid. Could you maybe look after someone else's for a short while to see how you feel or help at the local cat rescue. You will then know if a cat is really for you. The children could always start with a hamster or something! Mine always loved theirs dearly xx

.Poppy.
19-12-14, 01:25
I have worked with cats for a long time, and I can tell you that while aggressive cats are possible, they are quite rare.

IMO, cats are a lot easier than dogs as pets, though I love both. You don't really have to worry about socialiazing with cats as much, they tend to be bolder (and even fearful cats are rarely fear aggressive/reactive like dogs can be), and they are all around lower-maintence.

So, try to enjoy this time! Cats are a blast :)