PDA

View Full Version : Going insane with eye problems :( (flashes, static, etc)

Tylersmama
14-12-14, 17:48
Hi everyone

I have been a lurker for years. I have never had the guts to post really but I am truly at the end of my tether and have absolutely nobody left to talk to. My husband doesn't understand, I can't tell my friends...

I'm 27 and I have had 5 ocular/optic migraines with aura (and usually no pain) in my whole life. Two of them though came last month and within a week of each other. Ever since may I have been in a very stressful busy (probably busier than it ever has been) period of my life, barely finding the time to stop and finish a cup of tea. Anyway. As much as I know they are harmless, they shook me up and I have since found myself 'waiting' for the next one. At the time, it shook me up so much that during it, I was alone with my toddler and it set off an utterly awful panic attack where I could barely breathe. It only passed when the 'aura' started to fade. Tbh, I haven't felt right since.

The last week I have noticed that I can barely bear to look at my computer screen. It feels too bright and anything against a plain white background (wall, tiles...) seems to dance and flash. In fact every time I blink or gaze up or quickly, especially on white backgrounds, I see flashes. I am absolutely fine on my phone most of the time which is odd, but white walls and my laptop screen is where it's worse. After images too, and just like I've been looking into the sun. Not the whole time, just when I initially look at it. It's very hard to explain. It's much worse in dim light.

I called the doctor Monday for an appt and she said as I have been working up
To 16 hours on the computer for work (as I said, such a busy time for me right now), that she thinks it's eye strain and to go to an optician for a thorough eye exam (I am short sighted and wear glasses when I am out for long distances but rarely inside). I went to an optician. Everything is healthy, and she was very thorough. She said she thinks it's eye strain too and fatigue. And of course anxiety. She told me to relax and take a break if I can.
I also had my bp checked this weekend and it is also healthy.

A week later, I've not noticed much change and now I am driving myself insane and I can't stop panicking and crying :( I am a Panicker, I panic over every illness I get (even a cold if it goes on for too long) and I have an intense fear of dying young and leaving my little boy. I know I am prone to anxiety. But I feel like I'm going mad. I have noticed now I am paying extra attention to my sight, constantly looking at white walls or picking up things and staring at them, trying to see how my eyes are seeming to be today (see... Sound like I'm nuts!).

My cousin is a GP although I rarely speak to her about things as I don't like to bother her. I did speak to her about this a few days ago. She told me to listen to my dr and optician and to stop concentrating on my symptoms and instead relax and enjoy a break as it sounds as if I need one. So much easier said than done. Especially where I am positive my symptoms are real and not "all in my head".

I have just typed this whole thing on my phone and my eyes are fine. It's just my laptop and white walls that I notice it or when I'm quickly looking for example from the telly to my little boy. I see the flash then.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I just feel so alone in this. Thank you so much in advance xx

julia
29-12-14, 13:00
I'm almost identical to you,my eyes are very flashy ,blurry sometimes hard to focus especially from looking down then looking. At a distance, also on shelves. In shops sometimes hard to focus ,at the moment I can't stop focusing on eyes then sending myself into panic when seems blurry round edges,I to have had about 5 optical migraines with zig zags so scary

mnaha
02-01-15, 08:58
I have those migraines almost on a daily basis...I have light eyes and aging eyes and probably diabetic damage from high sugar..my doctor told me to take 400 mg of vitamin b2 once a day. It takes awhile to get into your system but it seems to be helping me so much ,also give yourself a day or two off the computer and television..it really helps.. I find that wearing dark glasses helps a lot..in doors and out.. because glints from bright lights tend to set mine off but I want to tell you that the B2 helps a lot and at last they don't last as long as they used to .. try it. it isn't expensive and it seems to work..I have terrible eyes and wont go to the eye doctor so my doctor looked at my eyes and doesn't think its anything other than aging light eyes and he is an internist 40 years and sure he has seen enough diseases of the eye to know ,so far its working pretty good .. anyway feel better soon..and try the b2

---------- Post added at 00:58 ---------- Previous post was at 00:56 ----------

Vitamin B2 but not vitamin b2 complex or mixed with anything else..