PDA

View Full Version : Self Esteem

tulip123
07-01-07, 17:04
I am being far to harsh on myself these days and my whole personality seems to be swallowed up in anxiety and low self esteem. Everyting I do seems to be a disappointment and I also get highly sensative when anyone talks to me. I read between the lines and constantly find negatives. I'm obssessed in my job and not giving enough thought time to myself, my needs and issues. But how do I do it? How can I make that change and see myself in a new light. Has anyone attempted this and succeeded?

Tulip

dj9928
07-01-07, 17:35
I'm going through this at the minute, Its not easy but you have to stop the negative thinking, Replace negative thoughts with positives. Some excellent info here http://ezinearticles.com/?cat=Self-Improvement:Positive-Attitude

A happy person is fully caught up in the moment --and is not thinking about the past or the future.

Coni
07-01-07, 18:22
Hi Tulip,

I've been like this for years though its got steadily worse over the last few years and I seem to be stuck in a cycle of anxiety and depression. I've read lots of books and tried to take on board techniques, I know what I should think but I still dont 'feel' it inside (does that make sense??)

I dont know what the answer is. Im currently seeing a clinical psychologist through work (I realise I'm very lucky in that respect) and he is making me go through my past experiences in great detail, making me talk about things that are really difficult, things that Ive never told another living soul. Its exhausting and actually I think I feel worse at the moment. But he says that by doing that I'll be able to work through the feelings and eventually the feelings of fear, panic, shame etc will be less intense and then we'll be able to work on my thoughts. i dont know...but I guess Ive got to trust him...Ive no other option and I dont think medication is a long term answer for me.

Sorry if Ive rambled...just wanted you to know youre not alone.

Take care and let me know how you get on.

Coni X

tulip123
07-01-07, 19:43
Yes, I think I need to talk through some of those issues from my past etc etc. It is amazing how they can effect one.

Tulip

bb01234
08-01-07, 04:49
Hi there never understimate the effects of your past on the here and now. Unfortunately we all think we've moved on when in reality our childhoods are sitting in our brains ready to act out for us at a moments notice - or without notice sometimes.

If your mind is letting you feel the time is right to talk though whatever thoughts you have, then make the move and go in that direction.

It's so easy to cover up, but it will be only papering over the cracks.

Perhaps CBT or analytical therapy or some of the other quicker approaches (weeks/month not months and months) would be effective for you - but hear what the people here have to say.

Also - read my post ref omega 3 - low levels of this will knock you out of true very easily..

Omega 3 - Who else benefits ( I Do ) (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16378)

Speak soon

Regards

Brian