PDA

View Full Version : Ear blocked - so worried, so much panic

greatsun
18-12-14, 04:19
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever experienced their ear feeling blocked for more than a few days?

My right ear started hurting about a week ago, and gradually started to acquire a feeling of "fullness," like it had to pop, as if I was on an airplane.

I went to the doctor who said it was Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (something about unequal pressure in middle ear) and that I should wait another week. But it's so hard to sit with this.

The pain/fullness tends to come and go. It is better when I'm not focusing on it (so basically when I'm focusing on a different bodily symptom, because OCD) and it's also better when I take a Xanax (which I have been taking a LOT of lately), which leads me to think anxiety/obsessing may be playing a role in this, but I'm not sure.

I'm really scared that this will be permanent or turn into something worse, like an infection or tinnitus or dizziness. So paranoid. Also, I read on a lot of medical websites to try something called the Valsalva Maneuver, which is when you exhale against closed airways to unblock the ear. I did this a couple times but THEN I read that this maneuver can actually damage your inner ear (!!!!!), and now I am PARANOID that I may have caused damage to my INNER EAR and might develop vertigo, etc.? I can't stop beating myself up for trying this.

Anyway, everything I see on the web is from people who have been suffering from this for months, which is exactly what I'm terrified of. Please help me get some perspective.

Hugs to you all.

Munchlet
18-12-14, 17:47
Yes absolutely, in fact I'm waiting on an ENT referral. I've had this after an infection and this time I had no reason other than a flight seemed to have triggered an ear problem where one ear wouldn't pop. After having this for a couple of weeks I went to GP who said possible infection and gave me antibiotics. Following this the other ear blocked completely. I had it for a couple of weeks and rang the GP who said referral to ENT.

I have lots of ear problems so don't tend to worry about them but in answer to your question it's fairly common and can be caused by anything from infection, allergies, ETD etc.

What the GP said to me is they may put grommets in my ears to release the fluid, sounds like you just have fluid trapped. Having said that I did a lot of steam inhaling and it does seem to have cleared now, but still going to have the ENT appt when it comes through as it's an ongoing problem with me!

snowflake293
18-12-14, 20:42
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever experienced their ear feeling blocked for more than a few days?

My right ear started hurting about a week ago, and gradually started to acquire a feeling of "fullness," like it had to pop, as if I was on an airplane.

I went to the doctor who said it was Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (something about unequal pressure in middle ear) and that I should wait another week. But it's so hard to sit with this.

The pain/fullness tends to come and go. It is better when I'm not focusing on it (so basically when I'm focusing on a different bodily symptom, because OCD) and it's also better when I take a Xanax (which I have been taking a LOT of lately), which leads me to think anxiety/obsessing may be playing a role in this, but I'm not sure.

I'm really scared that this will be permanent or turn into something worse, like an infection or tinnitus or dizziness. So paranoid. Also, I read on a lot of medical websites to try something called the Valsalva Maneuver, which is when you exhale against closed airways to unblock the ear. I did this a couple times but THEN I read that this maneuver can actually damage your inner ear (!!!!!), and now I am PARANOID that I may have caused damage to my INNER EAR and might develop vertigo, etc.? I can't stop beating myself up for trying this.

Anyway, everything I see on the web is from people who have been suffering from this for months, which is exactly what I'm terrified of. Please help me get some perspective.

Hugs to you all.

Hi Greatsun,

I was exactly where you were this time last week! My ear was blocked/crackling so I went to see the doctor and she said Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. It lasted for about a week and gradually went away and now it's fine. Hope that helps :)

Snowflake

Danuella
18-12-14, 23:13
Eustachian tube dusfunction sucks!! I have it at mo and it sends me crazy with panic.im under a ENT so here's what I've been told to do
1,steam inhalation (really does help as often as you can do it)
2,sudafed
3,otravine but no longer than a week
4,try and yawn,swallow,chew gum,to encourage tubes to open
5,valsalva maneuvre,be gentle wen I do this,u should only be putting mild pressure,you just want to gently open the Eustachian tube.
Hope this helps
Xx

ShaunRyder
19-12-14, 11:26
Yep had this, mine was when I woke up in the mornings after laying, it would be blocked and painful, lasted a few months until i got it looked at, was full of wax, sent to the nurse to get it out and now can hear fully again!