PDA

View Full Version : Flu-like symptoms - propranolol or coincidence?

NE21 worrier
18-12-14, 18:10
I'm new to propranolol having just been prescribed it yesterday. I have been prescribed 40mg, advising me to take it three times a day.

However, this has not started well as, having taken one last night and one this morning, I now have flu-like symptoms: a runny nose, a sore throat, hot flushes and chills, spaced out feeling. I feel really, really ill - did no work whatsoever this afternoon and have now taken to my bed :sad:

From experience, do people think this is a side-effect of the propranolol OR have I got the manflu and my unfortunate present condition is a coincidence?

Kendra
18-12-14, 18:32
Hi,

I think it sounds like man-flu.

I have woken up exactly the same today it's going around at the moment.

I don't think that type of med would cause that!!

Hope you feeling better soon

Xxxx

NE21 worrier
18-12-14, 18:36
Thank you. In bed with a cup of tea and some Lemsip Max. Flu-like symptoms are terrible for people with anxiety as they make you feel useless and I need no encouragement to beat myself up.

I've actually remained pretty calm about the whole thing so far, despite having plans for the weekend. It will pass, hopefully sooner rather than later. Just really frustrating.

Catherine S
18-12-14, 20:27
It doesn't sound like the propranolol is the culprit to be honest as nobody has ever reported symptoms like that connected to it. I've been on propranolol since 2007 and take 40mgs daily down from 80mgs a few years ago and have never experienced flu-like symptoms. I've had some side effects occasionally as they do slow your system down so can make you feel lethargic but never aching bones, sore throat etc. It's just unfortunate that you've come down with a cold at the same time as starting the propranolol. I hope you feel better soon.

ISB x

NE21 worrier
18-12-14, 20:40
Thanks for the reassurance ISB.

I'm feeling calm tonight in myself. I still feel rubbish but my body is fighting this virus and hopefully it won't be too long until I'm fighting fit again. Hopefully the Propranolol also helps out with the panic side of things.

I've made some progress in the last couple of years with my generalised anxiety but the random panics were just too exhausting not to do anything about. I also intend to start meditating a lot more as I am aware beta-blockers are for the physical side of things, not the mind chatter.

Catherine S
19-12-14, 00:22
Good for you, you seem to have a sensible attitude towards the beta blockers and you are correct in that they are not mind altering drugs, they just stop the adrenalin from tormenting your heart is all. A bad cold can be a pain and doesn't help us anxies, so I hope you start to feel better soon.

ISB x

Svojski85
19-12-14, 14:26
Your brain is fighting off a new substance entering the brain. He is trying to reach so-called homeostasis (hormonal balance; propranolol suppresses certain hormones uptake-adrenaline-so the brain is "re-adjusting" by releasing extra adrenaline and cortisol to balance it all out; these two will be overwhelming you until you simply give up thinking about it :) it's all in your head mate!! :roflmao: (FYI, hormone called adrenaline gives you sweats and hypertension, hormone called cortisol controls/decreases the immune reaction of the body, hence the sudden onset of flu-like symptoms; these two hormones originate by a decision in your brain (command is sent from the so-called pituitary gland sitting right behind your nose, which inform the adrenal glands, sitting this time on top of your kidneys, to start producing these two hormones, which then circulate in your body as long as you will trying using your mind to fight "the new propranolol effects" on your heartbeat and breathing forcibly off in your mind). But it only happens in people with strong dopamine-like personalities (lots of determination, executive functions high). So, you are some top manager, I guess, aren't you? :winks: If not, then you are certainly some hard-working determined person, for this happens only to people with strong personalities (it should not happen to clinically depressed people, for example, who can't care less what is happening to them because of their condition). Good for you man, your own inner kid is trying to fight the propranolol off by switching you into emergency state! :yahoo: Sorry, I've been there, done that :) If you wish to go steady, take only 20mg x 3 days which you brain will notice little less and will therefore not be that bothered, so little emergency reaction in your body :)...

No worries man. Unless this would last over 7 days or so (that would indeed be an infection caused by a virus), then you are fine. It is just an auto-immunal reaction of your own body trying to adjust to it. It goes away as soon as your dopamine-nurtured brain gives up. The stronger the character, the longer it will take you :)....

NE21 worrier
20-12-14, 12:47
So, you are some top manager, I guess, aren't you? :winks: If not, then you are certainly some hard-working determined person, for this happens only to people with strong personalities (it should not happen to clinically depressed people, for example, who can't care less what is happening to them because of their condition). Good for you man, your own inner kid is trying to fight the propranolol off by switching you into emergency state! :yahoo:

Haha, if only I were a top manager! I'm actually a standard-level office worker in a government department. Nevertheless, your overall vision was not too far away at all. For, I also maintain a fairly regular blog and, like a lot of people with anxiety and low mood, I have to deal with perfectionism and all that entails (ie. working too hard to make sure it's right but then worrying it won't be anyway).

Still got a stuffy nose and a sore throat and I've cut the Propranolol down to one at the start of the day and one at the end for now as I'm not feeling too panicky at all at the moment - as mentioned, my attacks are usually pretty sudden.

Head still gets thoughts of self-doubt every now and then (e.g. "you're not very well, you'll never be able to get through this", "you'll drink too much and be ill at dinner tonight") but I know the beta-blockers do not help with this anyway. Go away, bad thoughts, I've got some relaxing to do :D

Catherine S
20-12-14, 17:37
I stand corrected re your symptoms NE21, sorry. If, as Svojski says some people can feel like this whilst starting them for the first time, symptoms like yours are new to me in connection with propranolol even in the beginning, and i've never heard of any other member taking it describe those syptoms either. But whatever reason there is for how you have been feeling, I hope you start to feel better soon. I would also let your doctor know if you decide change the dose.

Best wishes
ISB x

Linda32
20-12-14, 19:46
I take the same dose and have done since May this year. It sounds like a cold to me and nothing to do with propranolol.

The one side effect I remember and is listed on the leaflet was a dry mouth which does disappear and not to take the third pill within 3 hours of bed time otherwise I can not get to sleep, this again is noted I'm sure.

Also, if you take anything with paracetamol in, I would not take them close together it made me feel awful.

Very best of luck with the propranolol, I have found them to be very very good.