PDA

View Full Version : Lower back pain making me feel like a woman of 80! >:(

little.miss.worry
18-12-14, 18:46
Hey everyone, so I'm really worrying. I have been for a week. I've had this lower back pain it's been so uncomfortable and it's been constantly on my mind. I'm 18 yet, I feel like a woman of 80. I've been to the doctors and he focussed more on my tonsillitis and gave me stronger tablets for that. (that's now clearing up really well) I did say about the back pain but he didn't seem that concerned and continue to look at my tonsils. I'm going to try and go back tomorrow if I can because I've googled and worried myself that it's a deadly infection :/

Could it also be anxiety? I didn't think it would be because it hurts so bad and I just don't know what to do with myself :( Just want it to go in time for Christmas. I'm fed up of worrying I want it to just all go away :weep:

lukeneal26
18-12-14, 19:01
Is it round the hip bone? Some shoots down leg?

little.miss.worry
18-12-14, 19:08
Is it round the hip bone? Some shoots down leg?

Nope, just lower back pain, sometimes locates to the hip bones but not for long and no shoots down my legs

Serenity1990
18-12-14, 19:26
I'll be honest, doctors are shite with structural stuff. Get yourself to a good physio or osteopath, you'll feel better in a couple of weeks. :)

little.miss.worry
18-12-14, 19:41
I'll be honest, doctors are shite with structural stuff. Get yourself to a good physio or osteopath, you'll feel better in a couple of weeks. :)

I'll just have to see what the doctor says I guess :)

Serenity1990
18-12-14, 19:56
I'll just have to see what the doctor says I guess :)

Tbh I doubt he'll be very helpful.

little.miss.worry
18-12-14, 19:58
Tbh I doubt he'll be very helpful.

Not exactly what I needed to hear right now.. :/

Serenity1990
18-12-14, 20:02
Not exactly what I needed to hear right now.. :/

Well I hardly see why. The reality is with most structural issues all a GP can do is give painkillers, which doesn't solve the problem. However as I said above, you can just as easily walk into a physio or osteopathic practice and have the issue resolved very quickly.

I'm afraid going to a GP for a structural issue is a little bit like going to solicitor to get your car mended or going to a car mechanic to worm your dog: not quite the right profession.

I don't think that's how it should be but that's how it is I'm afraid.

little.miss.worry
18-12-14, 20:13
Well I hardly see why. The reality is with most structural issues all a GP can do is give painkillers, which doesn't solve the problem. However as I said above, you can just as easily walk into a physio or osteopathic practice and have the issue resolved very quickly.

I'm afraid going to a GP for a structural issue is a little bit like going to solicitor to get your car mended or going to a car mechanic to worm your dog: not quite the right profession.

I don't think that's how it should be but that's how it is I'm afraid.

I don't think you can just walk in.. you need to get referred by a doctor.

I'm going, just to know that I'm okay considering I'm worrying about it so much once I know it's not anything that bad, I'll get on with it.

Serenity1990
18-12-14, 20:18
I don't think you can just walk in.. you need to get referred by a doctor.

I'm going, just to know that I'm okay considering I'm worrying about it so much once I know it's not anything that bad, I'll get on with it.

Yes, you can. Almost all physio and osteopathic care is provided in the private sector, you just ring up and make an appointment.

If you want the NHS to pay you'll probably wait so long for an appointment that the issue will have resolved itself by the time you're seen, which is why GPs tend not to bother for all but chronic conditions.

little.miss.worry
18-12-14, 20:22
Yes, you can. Almost all physio and osteopathic care is provided in the private sector, you just ring up and make an appointment.

If you want the NHS to pay you'll probably wait so long for an appointment that the issue will have resolved itself by the time you're seen, which is why GPs tend not to bother for all but chronic conditions.

Right, well, I'll just have to see and ask the doctor about if I should do that or not.

And that's usually the case, you have to wait and it's one of them things, I know all too well.

Serenity1990
18-12-14, 20:27
Well whatever he says, bear it in mind. GPs don't go through the years of training in musclo-skeletal issues that physios and osteopaths do; in fact they're lucky if they do a couple of very theoretical modules in it. This is why GPs are notoriously terrible at sorting back pain that a good physio will have fixed in a couple of sessions.

little.miss.worry
18-12-14, 20:28
Well whatever he says, bear it in mind. GPs don't go through the years of training in musclo-skeletal issues that physios and osteopaths do; in fact they're lucky if they do a couple of very theoretical modules in it. This is why GPs are notoriously terrible at sorting back pain that a good physio will have fixed in a couple of sessions.

Well, okay, thanks for the advice

Lin71
18-12-14, 20:52
Hi Emily Kate
Can you remember twisting or doing anything to hurt your back? If so, just wait, it will go.
If it seems to have come on for no reason, try not to worry, this is a very common problem and is very unlikely to be a deadly infection.

I had ongoing lower back pain last year and was convinced it was something serious...I asked my GP to refer me for an x-Ray, he said no as he didn't believe it was anything serious. He eventually referred me for physio, which did take a long time, and as Serenity said it had pretty much resolved itself by the time I started the physio! Anyway, my point is that backache often 'just is' and it will eventually go by itself.

Hope you feel better soon!

little.miss.worry
18-12-14, 21:28
Hi Emily Kate
Can you remember twisting or doing anything to hurt your back? If so, just wait, it will go.
If it seems to have come on for no reason, try not to worry, this is a very common problem and is very unlikely to be a deadly infection.

I had ongoing lower back pain last year and was convinced it was something serious...I asked my GP to refer me for an x-Ray, he said no as he didn't believe it was anything serious. He eventually referred me for physio, which did take a long time, and as Serenity said it had pretty much resolved itself by the time I started the physio! Anyway, my point is that backache often 'just is' and it will eventually go by itself.

Hope you feel better soon!

Hey! :)
I really can't remember doing anything to it at all! Oddly enough it started when my tonsillitis started hence why I've been thinking I've got some deadly infection as well :/ so maybe it was just coincidence it started at the same time I'm not too sure

I really hope it goes away soon because I'm finding it quite worrying and it's irritating me because I can't get in a comfy position :( thank you! :)