PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes fear

Sluggy
18-12-14, 20:56
Hi again, I've recently had a huge fear over MS and ALS and these fears have been alleviated somewhat by the helpful advice on this forum, but recently I've had a horrendous fear of Diabetes.

My health anxiety kicked off about 6 weeks ago, I lost sight in one eye for a couple of hours, went to emergency care to see what the problem was. Turned out it was just a migraine, I had a full eye scan and retina scan and nothing was wrong, I went to my optician and nothing was wrong again, but since then I've been getting more and more nervous surrounding my health, and every little thing I unfortunately read online turns into a spiral of health anxiety.

Past these new found ALS and MS fears I've not got a rather terrifying fear of Diabetes that wasn't really helped last night when I got a hot rush through my body and am still now rather warm in some areas. I get short sharp pains all over my body occasionaly, numbness in my fingers occasionally and have also notcied a blister that hasn't healed for around 2 weeks although its scabbed over, weakness in my limbs most noticeably my left arm and a drastic increase in floaters however this could be me actually noticing them after my eye problem and my fingertips seems to hurt more when tapping on a screen such as an iPad.

Somethings that lead me to not thing I have it would be I rarely if ever get up in the night to use the toilet, I haven't noticed any rapid weightloss or blurred vision.

Looking for some reasurrance or some advice, while going to the Doctor is obviously the best solution here I've visited the Doctor on numerous occasions in the past three weeks and I don't want to A) annoy my parents and B) end up with my GP thinking I'm rather crazy and not taking my seriously.

Thanks in advance for any responses, this forum has been very kind and helpful :)

anthrokid
19-12-14, 22:41
I would think that if you've been to the doctor already in recent weeks, they would have picked up on any symptoms that may have been related to diabetes and tested for diabetes if they were concerned. As you said, obviously the doctor is the person who will be able to tell you if you have diabetes or not.

It's really important to remember that symptoms of anxiety can be similar to what we think are symptoms of many other illnesses. For example, anxiety can cause muscle pain, fatigue, weakness, numbness/tingling in the extremities and increased sensitivity to touch. Doctors are the experts in figuring out what symptoms belong to what cause - there are little differences that we wouldn't notice between symptoms, but doctors see these and use them to help identify potential problems.

As I said, if you've seen a doctor recently, and they haven't suggested that you have diabetes, then it probably isn't something to be concerned about. Remember, you've had huge fears over MS and ALS which have started to dissipate, and now they seem to have been replaced by a new fear. You keep falling into this anxiety trap, which gets worse every time you read something online. It might be a good time to stop researching illnesses online and start focusing on learning how to manage your anxiety :) Has your doctor given you any advice on the anxiety at this stage?

Sluggy
21-12-14, 12:53
Thanks for the response. In the UK Lloyd pharmacy offer a pin prick test that takes minutes for diabetes, I'll probably pop in for one to put my mind at ease in the coming days, sometime between Christmas Day and New Years. As for the rest of the symptoms that I associate with Lyme disease, ALS, MS i can put them down to anxiety, it's been a rough 6 weeks and this is the first time health anxiety has ever flared up for me.

Don't know what I would have done without this forum and the members on it. I've never had a full blood test done before, and I'd like to get one done out of curiosity. Also after this hot episode, my thighs have been very cold recently, worried about blood vessel problems etc. I'll wrap up warm haha.

Thanks again for the response.