PDA

View Full Version : My anxiety is back with a vengence

.Poppy.
19-12-14, 01:34
I still suffer from GAD, but not as badly. A few years ago, I ended my long and major fight with HA. I'm actually really proud of myself for getting past that point in my life.

However, it feels like it's all coming back again. I posted here instead of in the HA forum becuase it's not my health I'm worried about...it is the health of my dogs.

6 months ago I got a rescue Cocker from a rescue that had pulled him and several other dogs, of varying ages, from a hoarding situation. He was about 8 weeks old. The rescue had given him his initial puppy shots (which I completed, so he's totally UTD on shots, as all my dogs are) and had him neutered. He had no health problems with them, and seemed healthy coming home with me.

He has, however, always had a weird leg twitch. The vet initially said it was "tight hips" but it affects his front legs too so that's out. He has no other symptoms, other than being a bit whiny. He's not weak or paralyzed and it doesn't affect him negatively, but I've always wondered what it could be. I do plan to ask the vet, especially now that I'm so paranoid, but I haven't yet.

So, of course, I googled. Bad, bad, bad. Everything I pulled up suggested distemper as a solution. I know that there are other symptoms with distemper, which he doesn't have and hasn't had since being with us, but I have somehow convinced myself that he either "skipped" the other symptoms (fever, lethargy, runny nose/eyes) or he had those symptoms before he came to us and his original owner didn't know or care, the disease managed to progress to the neurological stage and then he came home with us, with us being none the wiser.

I'm terrified for him, but I'm also freaking out about the safety of my other two dogs. They are UTD on shots as well, but I don't know what I'd do if they got sick, especially if it was because of my decision to bring another dog into the family.

I am so spiraling right now. My mind is ignoring logic, but even as I type that I think that maybe my mind is trying to be logical and I'm insisting on denial. I don't want to run to the vet in tears that my dog is dying of distemper when I'm so off-base and wrong (I used to do that with my own health and hated that feeling) but I don't know what to do. I'd like to make another appointment about the leg twitches but if they're not symptomatic of something larger then there's no point in getting to the bottom of them, as they don't bother him much at all. And my assuming they are symptomatic of something larger feels, again, like my HA coming rushing back.

So tell me: am I going absolutely crazy? It sure feels like it...:wacko:

Oosh
19-12-14, 10:37
I love dogs. I used to have three boxers. I think worries like this are natural and I'd worry too. But it's in the degree that you worry. So in my opinion, I think a reasonable step to take to put your mind at ease would be to pop him along to the vet and ,don't be hysterical, but simply say that he still has an odd twitch in front and back legs and with you having other dogs you wanted to pop him along and get him a check up just to make sure he doesn't carry anything that could be contagious to your other dogs.

Your vet will see a certain amount of logic in this and give you their response. While they're doing that you could pop in their, slightly sheepishly, that you just had this nightmare scenario that he carried something serious like distemper and you'd never forgive yourself if you brought that into your dogs environment and they all caught it.
Once again your vet will understand that fear and will probably enjoy giving you a list of evidence why this would NOT be distemper. I think that list of evidence is what I would be listening to as solid evidence like "oh he'd most definitely show this or that symptom and he's not" would instantly fill me with relief.

Then when you get home remember that evidence that he doesn't have it and DONT "wonder" any more ! :yesyes:

.Poppy.
19-12-14, 16:44
Thanks. I woke up this morning feeling better and a bit silly, so I don't think it's too much of a slipup for me, anxiety-wise. :blush:

I called my vet and she said it didn't sound like distemper, and his twitches could be caused by a lot of different things. She said if I wanted, I could schedule an appointment for after Christmas or the new year just to put my mind at ease.

Oosh
19-12-14, 22:46
That's great. That's what you want to hear isn't it. If that's their educated opinion then I'm sure he's fine. Happy days. A house full of lovely healthy dogs.