PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else?

zippy
19-12-14, 19:58
Does anyone else just feel odd and different and just not yourself? Whenever i have anxiety i just say to my partner i feel different and he says i always say the same thing and i say no it's different this time.
I just feel deflated.

Oosh
19-12-14, 22:41
Yes I used to feel like that a lot. Numb, didn't feel myself, the room would look a bit weird, hyper aware of myself. Hated it. There was no point mentioning it to anyone though as they wouldn't know what I was talking about.
Nobody can tell from looking at you.

Think of reasons you could have to feel confident.
Think of reasons why people like you.
And lighten the mood. Remember something that makes you laugh.
You can lose yourself a bit but you can also find yourself again.

courierdude
20-12-14, 03:29
i used to get that...and then i had it again out of the blue. i suddenly for no reason thought-whats going on? im not here..
and then it got scary as i felt so detached from who i am that i physically felt part of myself trying to tear itself out from the upper left hand side of my body and float away. lasted a whole 10 seconds and the after effects a little longer and left me not feeling like the me that was there before..?
its like your personality or your character, your memories, things you know and do are all just a flimsy cellophane layer that is wrapped just under the surface of your skin and can be momentarily lost leaving you standing there in your body not really knowing what you are.

MyNameIsTerry
20-12-14, 05:42
Yeah, definately. Loom at PinguAnxious' thread on the Depression board where some of us have been discussing it.

All that anxiety takes it out of you and you can feel physically & emotionally drained. If you have had a high amount of anxiety for some reason, it can then make you feel numb afterwards as your body needs time to recover from the strain.

jimsmrs
20-12-14, 15:18
Yeah had that, like a detached feeling, I call it a matrix moment!!!

debs71
20-12-14, 18:25
Yes, me too.

I just feel an underlying edginess and a kind of spaced out/out of body sensation. It is hard to explain. Just a sense of unease and very brittle nerves. I know then it is either gonna go two ways:

Get worse and full blown anxiety/panic attacks or
I'll be able to use my coping stuff and just get over it.

HORRIBLE. :wacko:

MyNameIsTerry
21-12-14, 03:36
Yeah had that, like a detached feeling, I call it a matrix moment!!!

I wish, then I could be unplugged and ejected out of the tube to a new life! :yesyes:

It would also be pretty good having the disk 'Anxiety cure' inserted into the machine like how Neo learns Kung Fu! :shades:

blondielady
21-12-14, 06:42
When I get it it just feels like my brain cannot handle anything. Like, I can be physically present but don't make me try to process anything because I can't handle it. When I went through a nasty bout of anxiety last month just the thought of making dinner was too much for me to grasp doing. It was like my brain couldn't handle the process of choosing what to make and then preparing it... even simple things. It was like I was there, but my brain couldn't actually do anything and make my body respond. I was convinced at that time that I was slipping into some sort of mental illness that was going to make me wind up in some sort of home because I couldn't take care of myself.

Strangely enough I'm doing a lot better now, although I still feel a little bit overwhelmed. The things that help me are forcing myself to get more sleep, even if that means just hanging in bed vegging out to the TV. Also forcing myself to do more and more small tasks helped too, and mentally rewarding myself for handling things. I'm not on any meds or anything but oh boy the doctor really wanted me to go on something because I burst into tears in her office a month ago just talking about how I felt. I am worlds better now though, having done a lot of mediating, EFT tapping, positive self talk, etc. Things that help me feel less unplugged from life are conversations with friends and exercise. My husband is prone to the detached feelings when he gets depressed or anxious and it seems like therapy helped him a lot, as well as just a lot of talking.