PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety about experiencing health anxiety...

KayeS
19-12-14, 21:15
So something strange happened today. My mind wondered to thoughts of the mole I had checked out yesterday, and got told that it's nothing to be worried about. I suddenly felt panicky about it, but then reminded myself I was told by a dermatologist that he's 99% sure it's fine. Then I suddenly felt extreme anxiety about not being able to control my worry about things. I actually felt sick at the thought of "what if I start worrying about something else soon or start doubting the dermatologist's opinion"... and I realised my anxiety was about experiencing health anxiety rather than health anxiety itself...

Does anyone have any tips on basically stopping these thoughts?? I feel like punching myself in the face lol.

robin321
19-12-14, 21:28
Yes I feel exactly the same. I have no solution other than to try to keep busy and not feed it if possible (ie symptom surf). I believe it is a state of mind that is hard to break.

I think that is what distinguishes HA. We know it isn't rational but worry about something. And we worry about worrying. It is double the stress.

KayeS
19-12-14, 21:32
I laugh at myself sometimes because of it... it seems so ridiculous but then I feel panicked and it goes from being ridiculous to being terrifying...

Serenity1990
19-12-14, 21:38
Haha I can sort of relate to this. I avoided certain activities to avoid the possibility of worrying about health.

It sucks. But you can and will get better. :)

KayeS
19-12-14, 21:48
It's a really sickening feeling... Worrying about losing control and worrying about worrying... Absolutely crazy....