PDA

View Full Version : Bladder problems

CraigE
07-01-07, 23:15
I got depression & anxiety (I think but not to sure now since all the drugs the phsychiatrist has put me on) 1 think that is bringing on my anxiety really bad at the moment is worrying about my bladder, back & for to the toilet like but its been getting out of hand because im starting to stay in & not going places because in my head im thinking is there toilets around, am i going 2 make it. but aprt from that i think my new medication ive prvioulsy mentioned is working a bit. thanx

Linnea
08-01-07, 12:59
Hi there Craig!
I had the same problem a couple of years ago. I don't think it had to do with my ocd, but might have I guess... Anyway I was very anxious about for example riding the buss for more then half an hour since there wouldn't be a toilett around. It's really hard I know, you get very ristricted. I think the reason you have to go to the toilett all the time is be cause you worry about it, at least that was it for me. I know it is kinda impossible not to think about it, but I got over it! I think it was because I discovered over time that I did accually make it! and I think it is important to think about the times when you accually go a long time without going to the bathroom cause then you got proof that you can accually hold it.
I hope I have been helpfull ;)
Tc
Linnea

/Linnea

bb01234
08-01-07, 13:43
if I might suggest something, when we are anxious we are inwardly focused. Clearly your bladder is inside you and as such it's a simple process for your u/c mind to ramp up your sensitivity to it being full or not and create the symptoms you have.

Others might get a fear of being sick, or itchy eyes or noise in the head ... See the similarity.

Othertimes the symptom gets externalised so you end up with worrying about locking doors, switching off lights, did I take my card out of the ATM, etc ...

It's a symptom not the problem.

Let me ask you this: when was the last time you either wet yourself in the bed or wet yourself in public (don't answer that on here!)

Can I assume you haven't since you were a kid?

Ok, so we then know your mind and muscles are wired up ok day and night.

What we are left with is a symptom, not a problem and whilst the medication might damp down the feelings, the underlying reason will still exist.

Rgds

Brian.

CraigE
10-01-07, 19:38
thank you for the replies, I just gotta try and get the thought out of my head , yeh & its always worse on a bus or somthing so I try to avoid those things.

thanx again

Craig.

darkangel
10-01-07, 19:45
hi craig

its a bit like most thoughts with anxiety - the more power we give them the worse symptoms gets.

Because you are focussing on this, then you will continue to worry about the need to go.

The good news is that your new meds are working - so maybe the next time you are out and about you could try focussing on something else whilst on the bus - maybe playing a game on your mobile or reading or singing to yourself - anything to divert your automatic thoughts of needing the loo.

Hope this has helped

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

CraigE
16-01-07, 19:54
thanx for the support and help everyone, I think i'm slowly getting better,

gotta go back to hospital so take care everyone

Craig...

xladyjx
18-01-07, 18:39
Hi Craig
Ive had this same thing happening to me that your experiencing, I thought it might have been my meds making me need loo more but decided to have it checked out to make sure as it did get worse.
Ive been diagnosed as having an Irritated Bladder and now am awaiting a hospital appointment to go under general anesthetic to find out whats irritating it which is causing me even more anxiety now as Im scared of anything like this so my advice to you is if in doubt get it checked out!
Take care Jenny xxxxxxxxx

**To the world you are just 1 person... To 1 person you are the world**

CraigE
04-02-07, 12:57
I now know that it was thoughts of wetting myself that was worrying me like, and bringing on anxiety, I'm feeling a lot bettter now plus I'm going to be discharged from hospital on monday hopfully, but I still dont want to go to far away from home & stuff, cos i'm worried that those thoughts will come back. also ive put on a lotb of wieght sine ive been in hospital like, I.m gonna miss all the food and some friends ive made there.

cheers craig.

funnyelephant
11-07-10, 21:32
I totally sympathise with you Craig. I get this problem and am fed up with it too... Always worrying about whether there's a toilet nearby when I go out. The trouble is that before a big event (exams, etc), I usually get myself so worked up that I actually give myself cystitis... I get burning pain and have to go to the toilet about every 10-15 minutes. Usually it gets better by itself when the event is over, but several times in the past it's developed into a UTI and I've had to have antibiotics to clear it. I don't understand how this happens as surely it's psychosomatic and caused by anxiety. It's not just fear of needing the toilet, it's also fear of having a panic attack or of being sick. They're such stupid, embarrassing fears, and have only developed over the past couple of years - I never used to be like this and don't know what triggered it! My family is getting so angry with me about it, I wish I could just be normal again. I'm sorry to whine... any reassurance would be lovely.

EDIT: I've just noticed that this thread is years old, I'm sorry!