PDA

View Full Version : can you help me put my mind at ease?

Hears The Water
30-08-04, 17:29
Howdy y'all. I am under a lot of stress and my normal response to that is to start up with the hypochodria. So I am trying to logic my way thru the latest "freak-out". I was hoping y'all could help. Two days ago I was putting a raw turkey into a roastin pan when one of the spikes on the wings puntured my finger. At the time it happend, I put the bird down and went to the sink and washed it out with antiseptic soap while pushing on it to try and make it bleed. My logic on this is that if I knew whether or not it broke the skin, I could wash it a lot more and I think that when one has a puncture wound bleeding is one of the body's ways of removing dirt and other yucky things in the wound. I could not get it to bleed but I did wash it good anyway. Today I was looking at my finger and now there is a small scab there and I realized where it had come from. The turkey wound. ACK, that was all it took. I got the idea that I have contracted E Coli or Salmonilla from the wound, and that is the reason I have been sick to my stomach for the last couple of days, not my nerves or eating food that I know makes me gassy and nausious, [Sigh...] ..... from there it goes. My finger is not infected, and I am only mildly nausous, but that is probably because I am very nervous about our homeschooling co-op meeting for the first time tomorrow and the role I have to play there. Anyway, I was hoping one of you could provide me with information on this. Is it possible to get E Coli or Salmonilla from a puncture wound? I have tried to Google this but I cannot find anything on it. If it is possible, wouldn't I be realy sick by now, two days later? If I can logic my way out of this, it will be easier for me to not panic over it. I realy appreceate any and all help you can give me.
God bless you and yours
Debbie

tara
30-08-04, 18:03
Hi Debbie, apart from the fact that we have strict hygine guidlines now, if you had have contracted ecoli or samonella you would really know about it. You'd not be able to get off the loo LOL. As for the scab, thats just the natural healing process that the human body has of healing. The other day my cat scrammed my leg, i felt it but when looked it wasn't bleeding, just a scram on the skin, the following day there is a huge scab where she scrammed me! Just the way the skin heals itself. Don't think theres anything to worry about debbie. Take Care Tara xxx

nomorepanic
30-08-04, 18:12
Hi Debbie

I am fairly certain that you cannot contract many illness through just a cut and certainly not those that you think you have.

It is just your mind working overtime again and imagining what could have happened.

So try and relax now and not worry too much ok - I know that is easier said than done.

Hope this helps ease your mind.

Nicola

seh1980
30-08-04, 18:14
Hi Debbie,

You would feel like you were dying if you had caught E Coli or Salmonella!! so you have nothing to worry about!! actually you would probably already be dead. hope this helps.

Sarah :D

sal
30-08-04, 20:30
Hi Debbi

No hon you definately cant get e coli etc from a stab wound from the turkey. I have just spoken to my friends sister in law who works in environmental health and is quite high up and it wouldnt happen.

If you get it through eating infected poultry or under cooked, you would have major symptoms within 6 to 8 hours.

Hope that helps you relax on that one hon.

Love Sal xxxxx

Meg
30-08-04, 22:04
Debbie,

Ecoli and Samonella reproduce initially in the gut to multiply into enough numbers to systemically infect you .

A pin prick that didn't draw blood cannot get to the gut !!

Think of all the butchers out there and they're mostly men and not so careful as us anxious lot ..

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

Hears The Water
31-08-04, 00:03
Thank you all for the encouragment. It realy did help. Even you, seh!! Sal, thank you for calling your family member for me. It is just my mind working overtime. But that is why I come here, I can ask the crazy questions and y'all don't think I am too terribly weird. Thanks for the understanding.
God bless you and yours
Debbie

sal
31-08-04, 01:01
Hi Debbie

None of us think you are crazy. Its just us anxious people that read too much in to it.

Wasnt a problem calling my best mate as knew her sister in law was there and could give me sound advice.

Hope it has helped you and you feel a lot less anxious hon.

Take care.

Love Sal xxxxx

jo-jo
31-08-04, 22:22
Hiya Debbie

Don't worry, we all have our moments when we build something up to be something it isn't - take my recent post here for example, I have a perfectly normal heartbeat and yet for some reason the other day I decided it wasn't :D

Glad your mind has been put at rest hon.

Take care, Jo xxx

nomorepanic
31-08-04, 22:25
Hey Debbie

That is why we are here - to help and support each other and it is good that you feel comfortable to come here and post.

Hope you are reassured now?
xx

Nicola